mora classic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
i have started to develop this leaning towards simplicity and basic form without the ''shiney'' factor which is why the mora classic is beginning to appeal to me but i have a few questions i would like answered if possible
1 is the sheath plastic like the clipper sheath
2 how comfortable is it when used as a neck knife?
3 where's best place to buy them from?
4 are they ok with spark sticks for firelighting?
cheers in advance
Sam

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
What is a mora classic? Any of these?

moras1b.jpg

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I find that the way the back of the blade sticks up at the handle very uncomfortable in use. A couple of minutes on a grinder sorts that.

Not too keen on the slippy plastic handle either.:rolleyes:

Apart from that it's a very useful tool.:)

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
it is wood. they use ochre died birch i think.

Might have a plasticy finish on the wood, but you can sand that off and treat with linseed - v. good grip.

should be fine for spark sticks as the metal makes no difference (this is for a ferro rod), all you need is a sharp corner to scrape off shavings.

heres a source http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/trading/mora.htm

they also have a much longer stick tang, i think its the length of the handle. so much more secure than a plastic fantastic...although they're about as strong as you need anyway :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
i have started to develop this leaning towards simplicity and basic form without the ''shiney'' factor which is why the mora classic is beginning to appeal to me but i have a few questions i would like answered if possible
1 is the sheath plastic like the clipper sheath
2 how comfortable is it when used as a neck knife?
3 where's best place to buy them from?
4 are they ok with spark sticks for firelighting?
cheers in advance
Sam

1. The sheath is plastic. I'd make a leather one and cut the plastic sheath in half and use it to line the blade in the new sheath.
2. it is very light for neck carry
3. i dunno
4. they work just fine; might have to square the spine a bit on some

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like mine :D
It gets a lot of use.
Mike's right about grinding off that square edge.
The plastic sheath is pants. Make a leather one.
It's good to carry as a necker or on a belt.
The handle is comfortable in use, and for all day use too.
It's cheap enough that if you don't find you like it, it won't break the bank, and someone else will buy if from you anyway.

cheers,
Toddy

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I took the handle off one and done this, new to me and since this pic , reshaped the end of the blade too a touch and put some more shape to the handle.

Nowhere near as good as the lads on the forums but it does me.

It's sharp as Wayne Rooney in the box, I love mine, just gotta do some more handle styles. ;)

rehand4.jpg

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
100418Morakniv.jpeg

The Mora Classic Original is also very nice. Laminated carbon steel. It's an older model of the Mora Classic, now produced for nostalgia buffs. It has a sheath made from stitched pressed fiber, just as if it had been leather. Could perhaps be used as a model for a leather sheath? Leather was unobtainable after WWII so fiber was used instead. Was later replaced by a more "practical" and durable plastic sheath.

The sheath is intended to be hung from a "knife button" on the trousers, or the jacket, specially intended for just that use.

http://www.moraofsweden.se/index.php?id=157

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I have one
Its a great little knife that punches way above its weight and came razor sharp
I made a leather sheath for mine its fairly easy to produce a serviceable sheath
£4.99 is a real bargain I almost feel like buying another one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE