Molehills In A Straight Line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I regularly go walking in the Peak District and on a couple of recent walks I noticed something unusual; molehills in a field in a straight line along the route of a footpath, and not anywhere else. I'm wondering what this might be; could it be that worms are attracted to the ground because of the vibrations caused by people walking over it and then the moles come to eat them?

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I think they do go in straight lines, well the one that took out a whole row of young cabbage plants last year certainly did :(
May be your one was following the edge of a stone outcrop though. Would be interesting to see if we have a mole expert in our ranks too, like we have with snakes and spiders.

Rob.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Wonder if the ground under the footpath is just too compacted so they just go along the side?

Is it wet/boggy on one side?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
On my daily pooch walk, all the mole hills are along the footpaths and nowhere else. i reckoned it was due to the fact that either, A; the worms etc are more active due to the walkers vibration and so thats where the moles feed. B; they are intent on causing me grevious bodily harm as, on the dark nights i was constantly tripping over the damn things!

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
your mole has clearly been to forestry school and is preparing a site for planting by creating mounds of soil to plant trees in. just wait a few days and you should see a few hectares mounded. the next stage is the ostrich which naturally like to stick their heads in the ground so make good planters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE