Modifying the Cold Steel Trail Hawk, an instructional...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Yes, just half a kilo of the regular brown crystals. I had a refund this morning and have ordered some from elsewhere. It's a bit of an experiment really, cos the main passivation will be achieved through using Birchwood Casey's Plum Brown Barrel Finish (which I already have here), I just wanted to experiment with alternate coatings of FeCl and plum brown to see what would come out. I just used plum brown last time as my pot of FeCl had got too much copper in it and was copper plating everything.

Last edited:

Drummertist

Jan 14, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Please hurry. This really is killing me here. I'm on the floor bleeding. Really. Call for help.

...oh and I'm new to the forums by the way. Nice to meet everyone. I should probably do a better intro...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
sign0016.gif

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Did mine last night, most enjoyable and pics to follow. Hope to get out this weekend for a play with it to see how practical it can be for me...........

I've only gone and got it shaving sharp though. Need a sheath for it, any made one who fancies making another?

Cheers!

Marc

Drummertist

Jan 14, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Unfortunately, the I've had no time to tinker with it as yet, but I have grand plans. I intend making a twin-handle arrangement where a pair of handles will be carried with the head fitted to the longest. I have a daft idea for a shorter handle for kindling and carving work, and a longer one for scalping zombies...

I think two handles and one head make a lot of sense and, combined, they probably take up no more room with no weight penalty when compared to my Scandinavian Forest Axe.

I had the same idea for when I get mine. I actually want to make a 30" handle (for two handed use), a 24" handle (for greater one-handed reach) and a 10" handle (or shorter; All I need is a nub) for choking up on the head for finer work. Actually, I might make curved handles, reverse-curved handles, ornate handles...okay this is getting out of hand! :p

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Got mine just about as far as I want to go now, and a lovely leather cover came today for it from the excellent robevs73 so I am comfortable packing it without worries for my digits whilst blindly fishing about in a pack!

I just intend on fitting a lanyard with a tube in the shaft and coating the head and calling it good..................what do more experienced metal workers suggest for coatings?
Might fashion a "rustic" looking handle just using the head as per the video just for the hell of it!

I took mine out to see how the improvements are in practical application and its pretty awesome, I took it to a few wind blown trees including one limb around 5" as well as other whittling, pointless carving, feathering and the like. So much potential that I don't see any other axe/hatchet coming out for the foreseeable!

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Ok, this thread finally went and did it. I had to get one! Arrived today and couple hours later this is the result.....

Attachments

• TrailHawk.jpg
    TrailHawk.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 105

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've just sold two take down tomahawks that are far and away better than this any day of the week. IMO. (Let me know how get on with them chaps please.)

"Great if you want to smash things with" Sheeesh! Why oh why do they feel the need to ham everything up so much like that in that sales video?

Nice mods on the axe in the thread by Martyn.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I've just sold two take down tomahawks that are far and away better than this any day of the week. IMO. (Let me know how get on with them chaps please.)

Maybe so, but good quality, antique forged, takedown tomahawks dont pop up all that often. The marketing on the CS stuff is truly horrible, and most the stuff they sell, I wouldn't stop to pick up off the floor. But the trail hawk isn't a bad little tool if you can see past all the rubbish. Granted in the state they arrive, they need some serious attention, but they can fairly easily be made into a very good axe. It's just hickory and carbon steel. What were yours made of? :)

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Maybe so, but good quality, antique forged, takedown tomahawks dont pop up all that often. The marketing on the CS stuff is truly horrible, and most the stuff they sell, I wouldn't stop to pick up off the floor. But the trail hawk isn't a bad little tool if you can see past all the rubbish. Granted in the state they arrive, they need some serious attention, but they can fairly easily be made into a very good axe. It's just hickory and carbon steel. What were yours made of? :)

Hi Martyn,
Not sure what mine are made of and saying "metal" would be just too obvious. However they are old tools I look for and restore before then end up in a landfill site. The tomahawks I have are made by old established tool companies such as Peugeot Frerres or Goldenberg to name just two.

I have no idea how to test the carbon content of the blades nor can I test their hardness. Suffice to say they've gotta be pretty bloody good to have survived some of the abuse I've seen inflicted on them before restoring 'em. Anything less wouldn't have made it though the decades.

You can see a couple of examples in the member classified, I just put one up for sale in there.

No disrespect intended for the axes themselves, I was just disgusted by their OTT sales advert, but it does strike me as odd that you buy a tool from them and effectively have to "finish" it to make it good. That's sad. I'm also more than a little put off to read that the axe heads are made in Taiwan. Not a good origin for anything sold as a "quality tool".

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
im also more than a little put off to read that the axe heads are made in Taiwan. Not a good origin for anything sold as a "quality tool".

There is nothing wrong with the axe heads at all, Good tough steel and good heat treat

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I have heard some good things about them, they are not at all expensive to buy new, (though I'm looking for a couple of second-hand ones to keep the cost down) good( easy to keep sharp in the field) steel and heat treat for the money, and very adaptable as a tool, hence me looking for them. Nice mods btw Martyn :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE