MOD model D survival/ air crew knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Just brought this from one from Robevs73
MOD issue model D survival / air crew knife used to be used with the survival kits on planes and used by RAF aircrew also used by Royal Marines for arctic use.

Most were made by Wilkinson sword mid 50s to the early 80s ,I think this one isnt a Wilkinson as there is no makers stamp .

This ones in old unissued condition .

The scales are slightly over size some say for arctic use so the metals not handled but I think you would need to be wearing gloves to use one for any length of time without sanding the scales down .
2009_0705wolf0020.jpg

2009_0705wolf0021.jpg

In the early 80s this knife was replaced by the MOD Survival knife I have posted a couple of pictures so you can see the difference this ones the later model with the fibre scales early ones have wooden scales .
Different grind and a bit shorter
Again to make it usable sand down the scales
2009_0705wolf0025.jpg

2009_0705wolf0026.jpg

Loads of WEBTEX copys about of the MOD survival knife.

Both these knife were the for runners of the famous " Wilkinson sword survival knife" designed so the story goes by Ray Mears late 80s and the "Wilkinson sword dartmoor knife "

Comments and any history please
Twodogs

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I have one of the Webtex copies.
Once sharpened it holds a good sharp edge.
But.
They're an odd kind of knife. I have never used mine. Thing is, it's a very thick blade, which means it's no use for carving. And although it is a heavy blade, it's not as long or as heavy as a machete or axe. So it's not as good at chopping as either of those. And that's just the problem with it - it's a jack of all trades (probably not even that good, maybe just the 8 or 9), and master of none.
Actually, that's not quite true. It is very good at batoning. But then, so's an axe/machete and so's an average knife.
I bought one knowing it would be a compromise, but hoping it would still be good enough to use for most tasks; meaning all I needed to take would be the one blade. But it's too much of a compromise. A knife with an axe/machete is still a way better combination.
I do like it. As I say, it takes a very good edge. And there is something very reassuring about the heft of the thing in the hand. But...well...it just doesn't do any job adequately.
Despite those negative comments I'd still recommend anyone to get one - the Webtex versions are cheap and there are those who do get on with them. And it does feel good in the hand.

I should point out that my comments are in relation to the knife as a bushcraft blade. As a survival tool I'd say it was much better, since the strength of the blade is unquestionable, it's width means it could be used to dig, and its ability to chop as well as general knife-use. But bushcrafters often require more specific blades, and for that reason it falls slightly short as a bushcraft tool.

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have one of the early later models, I got it out of a Hawk ejection seat survival pack in the early 90s when the RAF moved over to swiss army knives for the PSP kits.
I took about 80 of them to the scrap metal dump at RAF Valley.
I "requisitioned" a few for my own private use. I've just got one left now, so don't bother asking ;)
I used it for years a general camping/field knife without any problems.
I've still got it in fact.
Arktis used to make a decent sheath for one.
OK, the blade is a bit heavy, but it holds a decent edge.

I've found mine to be a decent carver, and it's fantastic for splitting.
with a lanyard and a two fingered grip it's a decent chopper too.

Last edited:

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
No Marner mod for me ..does look good though ..
All valid points I use mine many for battoning plus I concider it safer than an SFA axe .
Once the scales are sanded down its fine to use and as you say holds a good edge .
2006_0116wolf0023.jpg

Davey battoning
Twodogs

Last edited:
I have one of the copies - it lives in the bag with my chainsaw, and gets used for zipping the smaller branches off when snedding. Anything that isn't big enough to need the forest axe, comes off with this. Lighter than a billhook, and lives in the bag. Doesn't have any other jobs now...
EDIT: Apart from demonstrating batonning to the Scouts - they can have a go with this one, without me worrying they are going to break it :D

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
It is a good knife as Cliff says for battoning but the low bevels make it hard to do other tasks. I have a copy of one, actually the blade was given to me by twodogs! so thankyou mate. It has nice high bevels and sharpens up really well. Its good for most tasks including feathering and shaping. If the issue blade had higher bevels it would make an excellent tool.

Heres the one I handled with the higher bevels;
hpim0763z.jpg

Sorry for hi-jacking your threat Cliff. ;)

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
The model D has a high grind unlike the MOD survival knife .
Its made to do some jobs well not all if you want to carve get a carving knife this knifes a bit of an animal
Twodogs

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have one of the later version (with wooden scales). It currently lives next to the wood burner in the basement (boiler?), where is is used to produce smaller pieces for kindling, either with straight chopping (works surprisingly often on 45 cm quarter splits), or batoned.

I have used it for more bushcrafty things, such a cutting all the poles for my ger/yurt (it was quite good at cutting poles down and rough peeling them).

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i like the model D, probably the only survival knife i would want to own.
no stupid gimics like hollow handles or saw backs and has a well ground egde:)

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE