Midlands January 2010 Meet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
No worries, thanks for looking guys! I suppose even with the delivery charge of £5.98 it's still a bargain. I might just do that and get 2 to make it worth while. One for splitting and one for carving with a few licks on the bevels... That's typical of Argos though, advertise stock at rock bottom prices when they haven't got any in the shops!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
No worries, thanks for looking guys! I suppose even with the delivery charge of £5.98 it's still a bargain. I might just do that and get 2 to make it worth while. One for splitting and one for carving with a few licks on the bevels... That's typical of Argos though, advertise stock at rock bottom prices when they haven't got any in the shops!

Group buy?

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I literally have no money in my account, I'm hoping to get paid tomorrow so I can eat again! Once I have been paid I'll put an order in so if anyone wants one let me know as soon as you can...I hope to order tomorrow, if not it'll be Wednesday.

D

Dolphin

Ok if I tag along? I haven't had much (any) bushcraft experience since my long distant scouting days, but would like to see what's involved before I shell out £500+ on course.

Marty

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Ok if I tag along?

I've added you to the list.

Meet list:

decorum
Mesquite
Jdlenton
Cliv
Nolightweight
MartinK9
Twodogs
Firecrest - work allowing
Bodge + some
Sasquatch
jimbo75 + Guest
Davey569
Addo
Andy2112
Tank
Muddy Boots - to confirm closer to the date
Bernie & Max
Elines - to confirm closer to the date
Wallenstein - daytime on Sat
WolfCrafter
Dolphin

If your Troop/District/County was actively scouting you should do fine - it's amazing just how quickly old skills can come back :D .

Oh, and make sure you have a half decent torch on you long before it starts to get dark - I really should remember to stick that snippet of info in the initial post :rofl: .

Not long now :camping::mexwave:

Yay!

D

Dolphin

I've added you to the list.

If your Troop/District/County was actively scouting you should do fine - it's amazing just how quickly old skills can come back :D .

Dancer, though my scouting days were about 18years ago!

Anything particular I need to bring along kitwise (i'm bound to forget something anyway), and is food individual or communal mess?

Marty

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Anything particular I need to bring along kitwise (i'm bound to forget something anyway), and is food individual or communal mess?

Kit wise a shelter of some sort (tarp & bivi bag, hammock and tarp or tent) sleeping bag. A decent torch as it does get dark at RC and some folks have been known to have got lost :rolleyes: as they walk back to their pitch. Something to mark your pitch in the night is good, some folks use these

For extra comfort a folding chair is very handy for sitting round the fire at night. An essential is warming juices :rolleyes: to help the time round the fire even smoother :D

As for food there's going to be a communal cooking mainly for the saturday menu so far

Communal menu:

Mesquite - Chilli
Sasquatch - jalapeno corn bread
Twodogs - Beef and mushroom curry, naans,chapatis and rice
Addo -Peach cobbler with full fat custard (is that ok Addo?)
NLW - I'll come up with something...

It might be a good idea if those who are listed above get their heads together so that no one is left out of pocket (It's happened before :() .

A quick note for those new to Meets and/or communal menus.

Those who want to enjoy the benefits of the communal menu need to pay their way. The cost of the food is not included in the camping fees.

But if you don't fancy the communal then just do your own thing.. no one will mind at all :)

As for forgetting something don't worry, a lot of us bring extra/spare kit so we ought to be able to help you out. Equally if you don't have something do shout and no doubt someone will lend you that bit :)

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... though my scouting days were about 18years ago!

You'll suprise yourself :cool: . You'll (probably*) remember things that you haven't thought about for a couple of decades - bushcraft and scout campcraft have a lot in common.

* hedging my bets here :lmao: .

... Anything particular I need to bring along kitwise (i'm bound to forget something anyway)

Mesquite's pretty much covered the kit side - one stumbling block that many befall is not having enough insulation; by day as well as over night.
Away from the communal fire you'll either need some sort of stove or, alternatively, a set up that keeps a wood fire off of the ground.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Just sticking it all together and adding a Trades/sales list at the bottom.

Meet list:

decorum
Mesquite
Jdlenton
Cliv
Nolightweight
MartinK9
Twodogs
Firecrest - work allowing
Bodge + some
Sasquatch
jimbo75 + Guest
Davey569
Addo
Andy2112
Tank
Muddy Boots - to confirm closer to the date
Bernie & Max
Elines - to confirm closer to the date
Wallenstein - daytime on Sat
WolfCrafter
Dolphin

Communal menu:

Mesquite - Chilli
Sasquatch - jalapeno corn bread
Twodogs - Beef and mushroom curry, naans,chapatis and rice
Addo -Peach cobbler with full fat custard (is that ok Addo?)
NLW - I'll come up with something...

It might be a good idea if those who are listed above get their heads together so that no one is left out of pocket (It's happened before ) .

A quick note for those new to Meets and/or communal menus:

Those who want to enjoy the benefits of the communal menu need to pay their way. The cost of the food is not included in the camping fees.

With just less than two weeks to go I'm adding a Trades/Sales list. Since I mentioned the possibility of having a smock up for sale I've had a bit of time to have a think :stretcher: - other than the afore mentioned smock, I'll not reserved any item I list. I'd prefer that others to do the same - but personal choice :neo2: :cool: .

Sales/Trades list:

decorum - Self dyed (olive) Swedish snow smock - used - Large - £10 (reserved for sizing check - could still be available) - will be re-nikwaxed before the Meet.

decorum - 1 pint (or half litre :dunno:) used - kelly kettle - £20

N.B:

Any trades or sales are to be conducted in line with the relevant BcUK guidelines (expanded to include Rough Close campsite and myself when I'm not party to the sale and/or trade :pokenest: ) .
To add yourself to the list you need to include your screen name, a brief and honest description of the item (plus link if applicable), condition - new or used and the sale price. If you're willing to trade or a combination sale/trade that would be worth mentioning as well.

Please remember that real life can, on occassion, get in the way. There is no guarantee that someone who lists something will actually get to the Meet - or remember to bring the item(s).
Interested parties are free to walk away and sellers/traders are free to sell to whoever they wish. Pay/trade what you are willing to pay/trade and equally, accept what you are willing to accept - please do not try to hard sell or pester for a lower price/lesser trade.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Mesquite's pretty much covered the kit side - one stumbling block that many befall is not having enough insulation; by day as well as over night.

Away from the communal fire you'll either need some sort of stove or, alternatively, a set up that keeps a wood fire off of the ground.

That reminds me if you bring a chair bring some insulation for that as well It's suprising just how much heat you loose through the bottom and back. I used a silver backed rollmat at the Herts meet where there was 8" of snow on the ground and it was great, no cold bum or anything :)

D

Dolphin

Won't be able to get down until sat evening as I need to be in Manchester during the day, i'm guessing i'tll still be worthwhile? Also, ok for my wife to come along?

Marty

is anyone coming down from the north?

As above if it's any help

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hi folks, im taking the litte un for a jab at the quacks on Sat morn and heading down straight after that, so its just the one night for me im afraid.

See you on the Sat for a "cool" meet. Think i'll leave the cowboy kit at home for this one and use modern gear on the deck. Im getting nesh in my old age.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE