Michelin 4x4 a/t tyres??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Does anyone have any experience of Michelin 4x4 a/t tyres? My wagon is due some new boots and the local tyre place has a 25% off michelin tyres thing going on at the moment. Don't think they'll last until the 25% off BFGoodridge offer!! Opinions welcome (and sought) ;) .

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I had a couple of brands till I swapped to BFGs. I won't buy anything else ever again. They really are that good.

Red

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Unless you really off roading don't bother with Grizzly Claws far to aggressive for road use (I've got them on my 90) and therefore they wear fast. Bronco recon about 15 000 max.

Michelin A/T are OK for road and dirt track but if they are the same as I had on works Ford Ranger they are not much use across fields and in the mud. To be fair that was partly to do with the vehicle & its gearing as well.

As long as there is a hard surface for them get to use should be OK.

Otherwise look at some thing Khumo - very good valley for money and a decent tread.

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
Unless you really off roading don't bother with Grizzly Claws far to aggressive for road use (I've got them on my 90) and therefore they wear fast. Bronco recon about 15 000 max.

I agree with EdS on the Grizzly Claws, great on the mud, but road noise very bad and will wear, also I know "Total Off Road" mag had them on a Jeep for a short while until one fell apart on the M25 at 70mph !!!

I run BFG AT on my L200 and have not major problems. They do struggle to climb out of deep wet ruts but are great for just about anything else. As for wear rates I recon I have had 50,000 out of mine so far.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Even though the vast majority of the miles I do in me 90 are on the road, I opted for BFG MT's and havent regretted it for a second. I really am very happily surprised with the road performance of these tyres and off-road they are great.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Michelin and BF Goodrich are all part of the same company now!
I like Michelin tyres they are a quality item but I do miss the old style 'All Terrain' tyre made by BFG.
I still like Firestone SAT's and dumper tyres though! :D

Don't forget, if you let some air out of whatever tyre you happen to have fitted, you will be pleasantly surprised how much better even road pattern tyres perform. Just don't forget to blow them up again before that long motorway journey home.

Swyn.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
The first bit of off roading I did with BFG A/T's and they were great. On the road they are pretty quiet. I now use M/T's all the time, reasonably quiet but not amazing in the wet! Awesome off road.

It really depends on what you're planning on doing. If you're 95% on the road and 5% off then I'm sure the michelin's would be fine. but having seen the rest of their range it doesn't look to me like they have a huge amount of experience in off road tyres. Hence the BF Goodrich recommendations.

Personally if it was me I'd pay a little extra and get the BFG A/T's rather than Michelins...

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
What about General Grabber AT2's? Designed as competition for the BFGs.

My research favoured these as being one of the best AT tyres out there and slightly more agressive than BFG ATs. In the end i went for Kumho KL71 MTs, but I was going to go for the AT2s. AT1s totally sucked puppy dog's willys. The AT2 is nothing like them at all and light years ahead. Much better than the Michelin I hear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE