medium size knife.... WIP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
been waiting for a while to be able to order this and have been planning something big to keep me sane while i wait... but today my steel has arrived!... been giggling like a maniac since!

Last edited:

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
When I read the title I had to have a look, particularly as your usual stuff is fairly big by my standards! (small guy with small hands:rolleyes:)

Neat design, will be following this with interest.

atb
Ste

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Holy cow. At least when camps set up n theirs enough firewood prepped.yer can get a game of rounders going too unwind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Just me that thinks 8" isn't all that big then?
I'm not a fan of recurved blades but I'm sure Mark will do it justice. Keep us posted.

Andy

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I was just thinking that Andy! 8" isn't very big, but making it by stock removal will mean he has to start with a large and heavy lump of steel :lmao: I knocked out a few kitchen knives yesterday and at least two are bigger than that, but then they are only 2.5mm thick

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
8" certainly isnt massive....still a hefty blade mind and the thread title is "medium sized" to be fair

Jhonnyboy, thats parang/sword mate not a knife :lmao:

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Mark, a lot of knife making vids I've watched show makers using hacksaws or bandsaws for rough shaping but I see you've used a grinder here. Am I right in thinking that any changes made to the steel's composition by using the grinder are put right by heat treating? Or is that why you've shaped it by making 'teeth' which can then be sawn off.
Like your work, looking forward to seeing this puppy finished! T

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Mark, a lot of knife making vids I've watched show makers using hacksaws or bandsaws for rough shaping but I see you've used a grinder here. Am I right in thinking that any changes made to the steel's composition by using the grinder are put right by heat treating? Or is that why you've shaped it by making 'teeth' which can then be sawn off.
Like your work, looking forward to seeing this puppy finished! T

being 8mm thick it was going to be hard work profiling this, cutting into the steel with a grinder cutting disc you can stagger your smaller cuts preventing heat build up, then simply chop off the prongs again with a cutting disk with minimal heat build up. though in reality it makes no difference as the blade will be put through a stress relieving cycle anyway before heat teat

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
bevels done, left about 1,5mm thickness along the cutting edge... was a slog! as it now stands weight is 625gms. will have to lighten the handle slightly to get the balance i want just in front of the plunge... may actually make a good user!... i think all in after sanding with scales i may get it under 600gms

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looking superb so far. Are you going to taper the handle or essentially grind/mill it thinner symmetrically?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE