One person’s junk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
If you follow The Gift It On thread it is worth having something ready to offer in case that perfect item comes up.
But
How long do you hold on to junk in case you spot something?

I have just benefited enormously from the deal.
The carbon Opinel thati scored is a luxury that I haven’t afforded myself and here it is. The bivvi that I offered has been in the wings since I first saw this thread and wanted to take part.
(The carbon Opinel is a luxury - I use stainless steel for most practical activities)

Yep - I’ve got something else in the wings but I think I’ve had my share for a while.

Thanks for that thread - it’s fun.

And:
Twice now I’ve had junk ….. erm ….. articles that others might find more useful than do I - and been able to offer them here without waiting for anything that I want. Might there be space for a “Santa Claus” addition to the swap thread - a null swap. I suppose it just might detract from the Gift It On. I’ve also enjoyed swapping items in exchange for a surprise.
Just thoughts.

Reactions: Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Oh. I didn’t mean a Christmas activity.

Junk is for life not just for Christmas

More of a junk shop thread really - but I’ve not thought it right through yet.

I’m absolute pants at secret santas. I mean who wouldn’t want a 3/8 Witworth spanner and everyone loves WD40 yeah?

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
You’ve just reminded me that I have a load of junk in a couple of toolboxes. Not sure BcUK would want them but someone might.

Long ago I was a rocker riding a BSA Gold Flash. The uniform was blue jeans and a leather jacket when it wasn’t Belstaff Trialmaster waxed overalls.
Those jeans always had a long rule pocket down the right leg. I would ride with a polished long 5/8 Whitworth ring spanner tucked down that rule pocket. If stopped by the police i could always point to the inevitable oil leaking from the engine rocker box held on by 5/8 bolts. I still have the spanner in that box.

A motor scooter is hardly threatening but thirty of them made me apprehensive if I was alone.

No, I never ever threatened anyone with anything.

Hmmmm. old toolbox junk - and I know someone with a forge.
I’m still thinking about how a junk shop thread might work.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Up in Yorkshire we were called 'Greebos' and the scooter riders were 'Smoothies' :)
Still riding a Bonny (though Triumphs never leaked of course :)). They wore parkas and we wore blue jeans and leather jackets (I still do!).

Yeh, the real problem with a group like this is our dispersal and the cost of post/shipping things like tools often outweighs the value. I like the idea but, like you, can't immediately think of a practical way of doing it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE