Meadow Sweet - alcohol?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Meadowsweet is in abundance again - just wondering if it possible to upscale into something edible/drinkable? Some alcoholic infusion , wine , beer , brandy ??

Suggestions welcomingly received.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A crude dump of the info I have :)

Filipendula ulmariaMeadowsweetherbriver banks, ditches, hay meadows, roadside vergesleaves added to wines and preserves as a sweeteneranti-inflamatory, antirheumatic, astringent, taken for acid indigestion, heartburn, aspirin substitute without stomach irritation, used for rheumatism, tea for flu, cellulitis, kidney and bladder pain.flavinol glycosides, phenolic glycosides (salicylates), salicin, volatile oil (salicylaldehyde), polyphenols (tannins), vit Cdried flowers used in herbal tobacco,considered sacred by the druids. Strewn in houses, or bunches in vases, for the smell. One of the nine flowers used to create Blodeuwedd. Use flowering plant early summer

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Meadowsweet is a natural aspirin.
Soaked in alcohol, a tincture, it makes a good topical analgesic base for aching joints.

I know it's used as a flavouring, but I wouldn't add much.

I use it, have used it for years, but it's not a food or a drink. It's not like elderflowers, put it that way.

M

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I use meadowsweet as an ingredient in potpourri or on its own to keep clothes smelling fresh.

One thing, its pollen is a very noticeable green, you notice it in the bee hives so you know when it's flowing even if you haven't seen it yet. I wonder if the flowers would at least impart a decent green colour to alcohol?

Reactions: Toddy and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I use meadowsweet as an ingredient in potpourri or on its own to keep clothes smelling fresh.

One thing, its pollen is a very noticeable green, you notice it in the bee hives so you know when it's flowing even if you haven't seen it yet. I wonder if the flowers would at least impart a decent green colour to alcohol?

I guess i will be finding out.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My tinctures are a kind of brown/green colour.

I admit that I have never noticed the pollen being green. The stuff in my garden is very yellow, and the flowers I dry for tea are very pale yellow too.
The seeds are green at first though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE