Making bushcraft firelighters from antibacterial hand gel and cotton wool.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

amn1240

Apr 9, 2012
Hampshire
Just an idea I had for quick easy firelighters.

[video=youtube;Qs82qe_RVJo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs82qe_RVJo[/video]

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If we are going to use chemical firelighters, Zip do some nice ones - individually wrapped too.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They do indeed - I bought a load from B&Q at end of season - with the 50p alcohol gel for lighting barbecues!

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I think it's a good idea if it's a last resort in a survival situation

but it's not really a bushcraft think to do, in my opinion. I think there's no skill in lighting a fire lighter homemade or commercial.
The craft is in creating fire from the natural resources around you surely??
It's kind of similar to taking a bag of BBQ coal into the woods with you. Just the theory's scaled up a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The craft is in creating fire from the natural resources around you surely??

Do you mean that? No ferro rod? No flint and steel? No metal knife to make a bow drill? Lets face it, none of those are "natural resources". Its all a question of "where do you stop"? In this country that is normally within earshot of a road :)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have no problem with using lighters, matches or any shortcut possible to make a fire. What is nice is to know that if you lose these devices or run out of them you can then use traditional methods. Personally I am more likely to use a bow drill in my back garden than in the woods. I get so knackered getting a friction fire going I need a sit down and a cup of tea in the lounge afterwards. I don't want to be doing that miles from home unless I have run out of alternative methods. I just like to know that I can do them if needed.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I am quite happy to use traditional or modern methods to make fire, just depends where I am and whatever method I prefer at the time, weather conditions etc.

Absolutely - me too. I guess my point was that I too used to make the old cotton wool and vaseline thing - then I realised that combining man made stuff into a firelighter really made no sense - so I just buy a firelighter for a simple fire start now.

Don't get me wrong - I don't look down on using manmade firelighters - hell - thats how I light my range most days :)

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I completely understand your point of man made fire lighters. I guess what I ment is surely it's more rewarding and fun to use a flint and steel for example and forage for natural tinder to start a fire.
Don't get me wrong if all else fails and I need tea. The my go too would be a man made fire starting aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Absolutely - me too. I guess my point was that I too used to make the old cotton wool and vaseline thing - then I realised that combining man made stuff into a firelighter really made no sense - so I just buy a firelighter for a simple fire start now.

Don't get me wrong - I don't look down on using manmade firelighters - hell - thats how I light my range most days :)

Same for me I wouldn't look down on any of the methods mentioned to raise fire, I guess its personal choice, the good thing about being on this forum is the fact knowledge is shared and the choices become broader than what the average person, like me, would think of.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE