Making a lamp insert for 1oz hip flask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Some of you guys are just too clever for my own good! I have a small spirit lamp already but this recycling idea gets me going. :D

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Eric_Methven said:
Cheers mate, any calibre you like that'll take a wick. I'm thinking of trying some primitive oil lamps and I've been trying to figure a way of holding the wick in place. It doesn't have to fit a specific size, so whatever you have spare, I can work round.
Do you have my address?

Eric

Primitive eh?

Leg bones are primitive ;) .

But yes, I am in love with this idea. Bought a large hip flask at work yesterday, going to pop off a few rounds next weekend to get some casings.

You all are creative folks, you know that?

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
Primitive eh?

Leg bones are primitive ;) .

Yea, well you know what I mean. There's 'more recent' primitive and there's paleolithic primitive. I'm looking at 'more recent' primitive for these. So, how do you make an oil lamp from leg bones? Sounds like something else I'd like to try.

Eric

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Eric_Methven said:
Yea, well you know what I mean. There's 'more recent' primitive and there's paleolithic primitive. I'm looking at 'more recent' primitive for these. So, how do you make an oil lamp from leg bones? Sounds like something else I'd like to try.

Eric

Very true, just trying to pull your leg (bone). :lmao:

Stone bowl "reservoir". Make a wick made from natural materials (mullein pith, cotton wick, etc), and insert that into the legbone (to hold up out of the reservoir). Acts like the bullet casing, keeps the wick straight and away from the fuel.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
Very true, just trying to pull your leg (bone). :lmao:

Stone bowl "reservoir". Make a wick made from natural materials (mullein pith, cotton wick, etc), and insert that into the legbone (to hold up out of the reservoir). Acts like the bullet casing, keeps the wick straight and away from the fuel.

Excellent, cheers mate.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE