Making a lamp insert for 1oz hip flask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Well the story is, I need a spirit lamp to heat up my leather working tool. Made one earlier out of jam jar but it's not sealed and I have to top up every time I use it. Since I have quite a few 1oz hip flask lying around I made an insert out of some spent bullet case.

DSCN1441.jpg

DSCN1442.jpg

Works like a charm and when you close the cap, it's sealed completely. Works with other fuel as well.

Never try keeping it lighted for a long time thought. Worried the solder joints on the hipflask might melt :p

Hope it's of use for some of you.

singteck

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:D

Was that one of mine mate? Gotta be a .223 if so - its rimless so it aint a .303 . Want some more in different sizes?

How come you have loads of 1 oz flasks? And how do I steal a couple of the little sweeties from you?

Nice idea mind you!

Red

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
British Red said:
:D

Was that one of mine mate? Gotta be a .223 if so - its rimless so it aint a .303 . Want some more in different sizes?

How come you have loads of 1 oz flasks? And how do I steal a couple of the little sweeties from you?

Nice idea mind you!

Red

Yup they're yours :D The top is a .223 and the bottom is a rimfire (.22?)

I needed one so I bought 8 from evilbay :lmao: I'll make one for you.

singteck

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't worry about the lamp insert mate....I just wanted the flasks :eek:

Brass I have ;)

If you want any more brass - just let me know how many and what size (I'll pop the spent primers out for you too)! It would work nicely with a .357 dropped in the top as a wick holder...the top would still screw on if my eye is right too.....

Red

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
.357 ??? The magnum shell??? If it is, then it would fit but the rim will be on top of the mouth so the wick will be crushed when closed.

No problem with the flask.

singteck

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
British Red said:
Aaah hadn't thought of crushing the wick :( Thought I was being clever :eek:

Red

Neither did I :p That was my first try.... that's how I know :D

singteck

PS: the cap for the flask is linked to a key chain. You want me to grind it off like mine or leave it as it is?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Either mate - whatevers easiest!

Thanks mate - you are a star

Have a rep po...doh

Have a brownie point!

Red

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Cheers mate, any calibre you like that'll take a wick. I'm thinking of trying some primitive oil lamps and I've been trying to figure a way of holding the wick in place. It doesn't have to fit a specific size, so whatever you have spare, I can work round.
Do you have my address?

Eric

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No I dont Eric can you PM it to me.

I'll send you some pistol and rifle calibre and you can have a play - I've just reloaded all my.30s so it'll have to be .223 and .357mag till I go to the range next.

My be next weekend before I can get to the post office

Red

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Eric_Methven said:
Anyone fancy sending me a couple of empty cases? I used to have loads of 7.62mm, but binned them back in the eighties as I never saw a need for them.

Eric

I have a stack of .308 / 7.62mm , .243" & .223 / 5.56mm.

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE