make your own fire snot. Methanol Jelly.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Found this and thought peep may be interested.

Make Your Own Gelled Alcohol Fuel - Canned Heat
Extreme do it yourselfers can make their own gelled fuel at home with by mixing alcohol and calcium acetate (C4H6CaO4).

The following instructions and measurements are from the Montville High School Science Departmental.
1. Add 25g of crushed chalk or egg shells (calcium carbonate-CaCO3) to 100ml of vinegar (water and acetic acid - CH3CO2H) and stir for about 5 minutes.

This should produce carbon dioxide (CO2), calcium acetate (C4H6CaO4) and water (H2O) plus leave you with some left over chalk (CaCO3). If you are guessing on how much chalk to add, just make sure that there is a little extra after 5 minutes of stirring.

2. Remove the excess chalk by filtering your mix through some filter paper (coffee filter or napkin can be used).

Set a funnel in a jar, place your filter in it and pour your suspension through it.

3. Mark the level of your solution in its container and allow your solution to evaporate off about half that volume to remove the excess water.

Place your solution in an oven set on low heat or place it out in the sun to dry. If you went to far - just add the missing water.

Note - if you like, you can dry out your solution completely and store the remaining dried calcium acetate for future use.

4. If your solution isn't already in the container you want your gel in, then pour it in there now.

5. Add 30ml of alcohol (ethanol, methanol, or isopropanol) to your solution and watch the gel form. Do not stir.

6. Once the reaction in complete, pour off any extra fuel.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great stuff Mike :)

I'm going to have to have a go at this one, even though vinegar is devils food for me-can't stand the smell.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
egg shells are really easy to get hold of, they sell them in supermarkets but they have goowie stuff inside that you have to throw away into a frying pan before you can use the shells....hope that helps :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I think you are right. I'm guessing it would take a lot more grinding down than chalk though.
Another way I just thought of is those bags of crushed shells they sell in pet shops....

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I think you are right. I'm guessing it would take a lot more grinding down than chalk though.
Another way I just thought of is those bags of crushed shells they sell in pet shops....

Just a few small limestone rocks should provide enough surface area. I've done it to grow crystals for my eldest boy.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Didn't the americans use something very similar in veitnam:campfire:

I mutch prefer vodka jelly. Great fun for BBQs . just try to keep the kids away from it .

Craig................

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE