Mad Bear Bison Tundra Lavvu stove help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
Okay,
I'm going to take the plunge and buy a Mad Bear Bison Tundra Lavvu. It seems to me to have the best balance of quality and cost through my 'research' on this site. Haven't bought it yet, but the site (madbear) informs me that it won't have the compatible stove and flue in stock until summer 2009.
I'm willing to spend the £600 for the tent/groundsheet and approx. £300 for the stove.
Can anyone help me with a compatible stove and flue for the aforementioned set up, please?
Or alternately a quality set up for the same cost?
All help is greatly appreciated from you fine experienced folks!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I've got the stove and it's very good although the price has gone up a lot with the weakening pound. It's a very good stove but it goes rusty like all normal steel stoves. Various things you can do to mitigate that - such as an end-of-season coating with oil, and a rub down and respray with BBQ paint if it gets bad. Probably worth waiting as others are much more expensive. Try a firebox in the meantime. You won't need a stove till the autumn anyway will you ?

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I would seriously look at one of these, unless you need a folding option.

http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/

No connection with the vendor, but good things said about both vendor and product on SOTP and I know someone that uses one in their house and is very pleased with it.

Graham

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
Thanks for the replies so far, people.
The Windy Smithy one looks a goer but would prefer a folding option if anyone knows of one.
I'm unsure as to how the flue in these setups exits the tent, so that the heat does not damage the tent fabric.
Can anyone provide more information on how this works, please?
Thanks

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The stoves will supposedly be with Bison by the 15th of April and will go out to those who have them on backorder. Mad Bear will hopefully have them in stock soon, although they have not been told when that will be. They are slightly different to the old version, the paint has been replaced and a few other bits and bobs, I'll get some pictures up when mine comes through!

I am buying a tundra 4 for a trip coming up in February to Norway. It's going to be cold, will a firebox do the trick in keeping the temperature up? I have no idea as I have never used one, and a stove is going to be too much to carry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE