Machete and Kurki recommandations ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...... The kukri is most definitely used as a weapon, and has been for hundreds of years.....

......The fact that it is also used as a tool does not change the fact that it is a weapon.

Almost all knives have been used as weapons. That doesn't mean they were designed as weapons though.

The fact that they are also used as weapons doesn't change the fact that they were designed as tools though.

Which is it for a kukhuri? To be honest, I don't know. But to be equally honest, I doubt any of us really know.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
So you agree with me that someone who categorically states that it is not a weapon and was never developed as a weapon is completely wrong.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So you agree with me that someone who categorically states that it is not a weapon and was never developed as a weapon is completely wrong.

No. But I do agree that there's room for doubt either way.

As I said, I don't personally know and I doubt any of us do. That said, I believe FGYT's reasoning is logical. Is it provable? No. Is it logical? Yes. Is your reasoning provable? No. Is it logical? Yes, but not quite as compelling.

Last edited:

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
You keep using the term "designed as" when the term in question is "developed as" It is irrefutable that the kukri is, and has been for hundreds of years, a weapon in the hands of the Nepalese troops. Whether it was designed as such originally is irrelevant because it has been developed as one for a very long time alongside the tool variants. The Gurkhas practise weapon drills similar to Japanese kata with their kukris, an exercise with only one end intention, use of the kukri as a weapon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPD9LxbgLxU
. I could cite you hundreds of examples of Gurkha valour awards where the kukri played a central part in battles. My reasoning is based on these facts and is therefore provable . For FGYT to ignore all of this readily available history and current usage is not logical.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You keep using the term "designed as" when the term in question is "developed as" It is irrefutable that the kukri is, and has been for hundreds of years, a weapon in the hands of the Nepalese troops. ......

Yes, and it's also irrefutable that the khukuri is and has been used in the hands of Nepalese farmers, peasants, housewives, and children as tools for centuries. has been. None of us really has any evidence which predates the other.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Whether it was designed as such originally is irrelevant because it has been developed as one for a very long time alongside the tool variants. The Gurkhas practise weapon drills similar to Japanese kata with their kukris, an exercise with only one end intention, use of the kukri as a weapon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPD9LxbgLxU.....

I've seen those videos. I've also heard the Gurkha response to the individual who asked him to teach him how to use it in combat: "Raise it over your head and bring it down---really fast."

The video is of a practice that's likely very recent in nature (probably less than 30 years) and more for show than anything else.

I also know of several national (and international) motorcycle gangs that carry a ball peen hammer for the exact purpose of using it as a weapon because there's no law against carrying a hammer and no permit required. Does that make the ball peen hammer inherently a weapon?

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
..... I could cite you hundreds of examples of Gurkha valour awards where the kukri played a central part in battles. My reasoning is based on these facts and is therefore provable.....

You could cite hundreds of examples....? Please do. With references.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
You keep using the term "designed as" when the term in question is "developed as" It is irrefutable that the kukri is, and has been for hundreds of years, a weapon in the hands of the Nepalese troops. Whether it was designed as such originally is irrelevant because it has been developed as one for a very long time alongside the tool variants. The Gurkhas practise weapon drills similar to Japanese kata with their kukris, an exercise with only one end intention, use of the kukri as a weapon
. I could cite you hundreds of examples of Gurkha valour awards where the kukri played a central part in battles. My reasoning is based on these facts and is therefore provable . For FGYT to ignore all of this readily available history and current usage is not logical.

Machetes, Bolos, Billhooks and Axes have all been used as weapons too.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
*yawns theatrically

I have two kukri's.......right now they are tools. If I hit someone with them they are weapons........simples

KevStorr

Apr 10, 2011
Near Burton Upon Trent
Guys all in all the talk on weapon or not isn't relevant to the thread and doesn't help in the choice of getting a Machete or Kurki.

For one I would say the Kurki is harder tool too master.

Perhaps it really comes down to personnel taste.

I think for me a knife and axe come up best. However never having own and had enough time with a Kurki it's difficult to say. The machete never seemed to fit in. For UK chopping an axe always was preferable for me and a knife for the finer jobs.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Guys all in all the talk on weapon or not isn't relevant to the thread and doesn't help in the choice of getting a Machete or Kurki.

Personally i think it helps. I think the kukri is a bad design as a tool for the forest because imo a lot of its design featured make it good as a weapon and awkward as a tool.

The Parang imo is a better design for a tool as is the machete.

the average native Khukhri is 10-12" blade and thick spined formidable yes but not against some one with a sword and much greater length and balance

I have also seen and held a Nepalise short sword that was used as a primary weapon

The Kata they practice was taught to them by an English guy Simon Hengle (Toto Blades) who developed a fighting style with the khukuri in the last 20yrs

No doubting that the Khukuri can be used as a weapon or that the Gurkhas train now to sue them ( I consider a plastic BIC pen a pretty good weapon if used correctly but not what it is for )

and in the last ditch your rifle and pistol has failed bayonet lost etc you would use a Mora as a weapon

Hello there,

We (Combat MA UK) teach specific kukri combat drills, however there is no specific kukri system in Nepal, what they do is utility based in the hills and villages outside of the cities, but hardly any kukri used by the general populace in the cities/towns.
When I first had contact in Nepal with the then CQB and kukri instructor to the Nepalase Goorkha Commando, kukri training was based on TKD patterns, I took him though the kukri drills we did and Shreedhar set about changing the way they did kukri and using our techniques.
The British Gurkhas have recentley started teaching new recruites basic kukri drills at Catterick, and I had a phone call from Indra Gurung (who runs the Gurkha kukri training) to go up and see him and work on developing what they do, kukri versus bayonet, using a kukri in a room when the rifle has jammed etc.

I hope that clarifies a bit about kukri techniques, FMA is not the best way to learn how to use the kukri, its best to have a specific system based on the kukri, and to have been shown how to use it by people that have had experince of having used it. However if you do not have a genuine kukri instructor, FMA is a good second.

Jeet a Gurkha friend visiting my house, with his kukri and the famous Gurkha smile

2006-07-07_121836_NEW_KUKS_024.jpg

Kukri seminar I did
2006-02-06_190903_seminar_004.jpg

Cheers Simon

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Personally i think it helps. I think the kukri is a bad design as a tool for the forest because imo a lot of its design featured make it good as a weapon and awkward as a tool.....

I've had mine for almost two years now but it's not really gotten a lot of use as it's heavy. What use I have put it too though has shown it's a decent chopping tool due to that weight.

However as a weapon, I can only imagine it as essentially the as a short reach axe: again, heavy and generally good only for chopping. No good at all for slashing or stabbing. That said, it certainly has a psychological advantage as it's an intimidating blade.

Last edited:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
However as a weapon, I can only imagine it as essentially the as a short reach axe: again, heavy and generally good only for chopping. No good at all for slashing or stabbing. That said, it certainly has a psychological advantage as it's an intimidating blade.

Axes are used as weapons and they are not good at slashing or stabbing.

Anyhow i had a kukri and found it very bad at chopping hard wood the shape of the blade is frustrating for it. I just could not help but wish i had a straighter blade. But however it was much better at sniping saplings and for use in softer materials. Which is why i believe its origins are in flesh of one kind or another.

Also Slashing is an inefficient combat technique in my opinion, it should be more of a strike ie the weapon stops just past the target and does not continue through. Kukri would be good for that movement

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE