Machete and Kurki recommandations ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm not clear what you need these for (not familiar with the alps). Summer camping in woods? Are you allowed to light fires?

Most people here would agree that a folding saw and strong knife are a handy combination. The saw will cut up a lot of wood and the knife can split small pieces.

Severeuil

Sep 22, 2014
France, Alpes
I'm not clear what you need these for (not familiar with the alps). Summer camping in woods? Are you allowed to light fires?

Most people here would agree that a folding saw and strong knife are a handy combination. The saw will cut up a lot of wood and the knife can split small pieces.

You're right to say that a saw is important. We can light fire if it's not in a natural park i think. And i'm not in.

I'm disapointed that the only Machete with a (real) saw integrated is NOT "full tang". What do you think about it ? :
SHTH.jpg

It's not so much about the length of the blade but the thickness and mass, here is a side by side of my Cold Steel kukri machete ( left ) and Condor Heavy Duty ( right)
Big thickness is better, yep ? Not too lood for your arm ? Is it a good Kukri, the "Condor heavy duty" ? Can you use it as a hammer ?

As a chopping, larger blade, I'm enjoying this offering.
Available in stainless or carbon steel. It really depends on your usage, the blade is thick on this one.
http://www.varusteleka.com/en/group/large-knives/1197
You are using Stainless for the Skrama, no? Is it good also than Carbon Steel for cutting...? I realy hesitate.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hmm - How do you find it for chopping?

For want of a better expression, bloody brilliant! That's really its thing, though it does other stuff too. If you had to have one tool to serve as axe and knife, then this has a good chance of being chosen.

I haven't got out as much as I'd have liked recently, so I'm thinking of lending it to one of the walking stick cutters around here. They cut 3yr old Chestnut for the NHS sticks, I've done a season, it's pretty full on. Best tool for them so far is the Wilkinson/Fiskars billhook. Though that's an excellent hook, and puts up with serious punishment, I find the hook gets in the way when smacking into a Chestnut stool.

I reckon this tool, though a little thicker, might go down well.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have just sawed through a 1/12" diameter piece of seasoned hardwood with the saw on my SAK. How often do you want to saw through anything bigger than that? If you do then you may as well have the proper tools for the job, not the serrated back of a machete. Packable bow saws are to be had.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Well Imo a Kukri is actually a weapon that can also be used for other tasks. If you want to defend against a bear i suggest getting a firearms licence (depending on what country you are in) as the kukri will just likely make the bear more likely to swat you. My advice is stay away from the said bear. People shoot bears and the bear still kills them.

Boring read but i think it proves that Kukri vs bear is bad idea http://www.polarbearsinternational....errence_in_alaska_2014_01_29_15_23_07_utc.pdf

My logic behind this is the same as for the gun, by the time you have unsheathed the kukri the bear is on you.

If an armed police man is attacked and a person can run 20 miles an hour at 30 feet the poilice man will have 1 second in which to draw his pistol, take safety off, aim and shoot.

Bears are worse, avoid bears :)

Well Imo a Kukri is actually a weapon that can also be used for other tasks. If you want to defend against a bear i suggest getting a firearms licence (depending on what country you are in) as the kukri will just likely make the bear more likely to swat you. My advice is stay away from the said bear. People shoot bears and the bear still kills them.

Boring read but i think it proves that Kukri vs bear is bad idea http://www.polarbearsinternational....errence_in_alaska_2014_01_29_15_23_07_utc.pdf

My logic behind this is the same as for the gun, by the time you have unsheathed the kukri the bear is on you.

If an armed police man is attacked and a person can run 20 miles an hour at 30 feet the poilice man will have 1 second in which to draw his pistol, take safety off, aim and shoot.

Bears are worse, avoid bears :)

No the khukuri is NOT and never was developed as a weapon it is the Bill hook / hatchet/ swiss army knife etc of Nepal and more its their all round cutting tool for Food, fire wood & carpentry jungle travel
Nepalese fighting edged weapon was a short straight sword

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
In my mind , if you want a machete the best one in my Opinion is the gold old Bolo.... I've had mine years, and its never let me down, great prices for them as well.... I know it surprises people what you can do with them..... :), its never let me down.... and one of may Favorite tools.

if you sharpen it a certain way you can use the wide end for digging if you leave it blunt, have a portion of the blade that is sharp for heavy work, and part of the blade if you really want part of it razor sharp... and finally square of the spine with a sharp 90 degree edge and you got a scraper for bark, shavings as well :)

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/tramontina-bolo-machete-81-p.asp

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
No the khukuri is NOT and never was developed as a weapon

The problem with making sweeping statemnets in the face of all available evidence is that others have plently of opportunity to contradict you. The kukri is most definitely used as a weapon, and has been for hundreds of years - in fact IIRC the first British experience of it was when it was one of the weapons used by Gurkhas against them in the Anglo-Nepalese war 200 years ago. The fact that it is also used as a tool does not change the fact that it is a weapon.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Well from perspective i said that it was imo primarilly a weapon. The design of the kukri is the reason i have the opinion it was designed as a weapon. I think it is more often used as a tool nowaday's but again. but in my opinion it is not a great design as a tool. Also there are other similar designs in weapons like the Talwar, Kopis, Khopesh.

But that said, some say it's origin in a sickle which may well be the case. Personally i think it was copied from the Kopis.

It is my belief that all weapons originated from tools, but they often change in design when they become weapons. An axe for example i believe was originally designed for use in wood but later they modified the design (often a lot thinner)

Also i think the Cho was more likely made to stop blood getting into the handle than it was for stopping sap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE