Looking For A Pack Frame..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Folks,

I am looking for a good quality pack frame similar to the one in the picture below:

1130a181.jpg

This one seems to double as a chair, but I would prefer the frame to have just a standard shelf on the bottom rather than all that extra metal work.

I want to carry heavy arkward loads in rouch country, so it must be good quality and have a decent belt and shoulder harness system; no £17 ex millets framed rucksacks! I can find what I want in the US but was hoping to find something in the UK...

Regards,

Pete

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Pete,
I'm a big fan of external frames (see my gallery). Your best sources currently in the UK are;
"H"Frame Royal Marine Arctic Bergen - Good lightweight alumium frame made by Karrimor - I got mine for £3 at a surplus store.
Swedish 35L daypack - Tubular steel frame (shorter than the above but currently far more available).
Is this for a DIY pproject??
Neil

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Neil,

I haven't managed to find the gallery yet, but will take a look in a minute. Could do me a favour and measure the frame on your RM bergan? I do have a frame here, but its too small at 15" wide by 23" tall...I am looking for something around 28" to 30" tall ideally.

The reason I want it? At the risk of being drumed off the forum after only my second post, I am a deer stalker and I want it to carry off deer carcasses from one of the more difficult spots on the ground I stalk.

Roe are not a problem, but I get the odd Red now and again and they are ****** to get out on your own. The usual method is to drag them out using rope, but in some places that is just not possible. I tknow that hunters in other countries around the world with similar problems use a pack frame so I thought I would give it a try.

Luckily the Reds up in Scotland where I stalk are considerable smaller than what you guys in Devon get...its all down to poor nutritionand the bad weather ect.

Abbe,

Tatonka is another company that had already been recommend but that particular model is still like a chair plus I can't get it in the UK as far as I am aware.

Regards,

Pete

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
The reds I've seen in Scotland, did'nt seem that much smaller IMO. The bergen is not hand right now, but I'll have a look in the morning.
Neil

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Neil

Just found your pic (http://www.bushcraftuk.net/photopost/data/500/140IMG_0242_JPG_3-med.jpg) and I am very interested. First is this the RM or the Swedish Army one? You mention in the comments that you made part of the harness yourself? Is it that the shoulder straps original and you have add the waist belt?

With regards the Reds, they can, given favourable conditions be double the weight down south, but that is exceptional. A typical mature stag off the hill in scotland might dress out at 15 stone where as down south, a woodland stag can be anything from 20 stone to 30 stone...Deer are quite deceptive to size "on the hoof" so the only accurate figures come from larder or gamedealer records.. If your interested in deer take a look at http://www.deer-uk.com

The deer population in the UK is expanding like no tomorrow, in fact there are supposed to be more deer today than in 1066!

Regards,

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE