Looking at buying an Aussie basha....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Have used Bashas in the past but as it's been when I was out and about with a mate who is in the Scots guards and it's been his kit so I don't know exactly what make they have been.

I have a poncho but its not the most compact item in the world and not big on coverage either.

I have been looking at some from Penrith Survival equipment (think it used to be called Survival aids when I got my Ajungilak sleeping bag about 13 years ago :D) and have spotted the ones on HERE

I don't do DPM so the choices seem to be between the 4 oz and the 2 oz in olive green and was just wondering if anyone has used them both.

I am leaning towards the 2 oz one cos its cheaper and lighter, any views?

As I have managed to reach the age of 33 without needing to make a coracle I am thinking that I won't ever really need to make one.

Is the 2 oz one strong enough for general shelter use or is it a bit pants.

Ta muchly in advance.

Scott

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Hi Scott

Only just noticed your question!

I have a 2 oz from Penrith Survival Equipment and yes, they were based at Morland, part of the old Survival Aids

The 2oz is fine for shelter work. It only has one central loop, and 4 more, 1 at each corner. Then the usual selection of eyelets and press studs.

It's a lot lighter, smaller and more flexable than a standrad british Army Poncho. Also doesn't have the hood in the middle as it's designed solely as a tarp.
The size is more than adequate for 1. Also, and I'm sure you've already realised this bit, it doesn't weigh 2oz. That refers to the fabric weight per unit area.

hope this helps
Chris

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
charliefox said:
Hi Scott

Only just noticed your question!

I have a 2 oz from Penrith Survival Equipment and yes, they were based at Morland, part of the old Survival Aids

The 2oz is fine for shelter work. It only has one central loop, and 4 more, 1 at each corner. Then the usual selection of eyelets and press studs.

It's a lot lighter, smaller and more flexable than a standrad british Army Poncho. Also doesn't have the hood in the middle as it's designed solely as a tarp.
The size is more than adequate for 1. Also, and I'm sure you've already realised this bit, it doesn't weigh 2oz. That refers to the fabric weight per unit area.

hope this helps
Chris

Thanks for that, I might just have to nip through there on the bike this weekend and have a look at their stuff.

Thanks again.

Scott

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE