long johns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i work outside all the time.

if this is going to be the coldest winter ever then i demand to have some decent long johns!

can anyone reccommend some that aint too spenny?

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Hello

I recently purchased a one piece styled "Long John's" from ebay (as seen in cowboy films) £17. Or a baby grow as my lady friend calls it. :lmao:

I now want another one...but hard as I try I cannot find any in the UK. :eek:

Lots in the USA for sale :( b

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000V349I/104-7977725-5810320?v=glance

Oh Yes...It''s great to wear...protects your lower back from chills . Has a nice little flap at the back for when you need to go for a pooh :eek: but I never use it.

Tell me if you find a source

Thanks John

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Helly Hansen make (or made) some wonderfully warm long johns and long sleeved vests to match. Can't say what they should cost as I got mine a few years back from a HH "Factory Outlet" shop. I've worn mine for the last few years and they are still in perfect nick unlike some that go all baggy and saggy after a couple of washes. They are warm too. I've been out fishing on days when I've had to suck the ice from my rod rings but my legs were still warm enough.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Icebreaker do a good set of long johns in merino wool. I see that Tiso now stock them too so you can go in and take a gander or Field and Trek do them too.

I'll second the Helly Hansen Lifa long johns, very good if you are in an active job as they wick very well.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I like my lj's to be wool as I find it the warmest, but not every one can wear it, many find that it itches, also they tend to be expensive. The best 'cheapest' option I have found were german army i think, that I picked up fomr the local army surplus store (though they were new).... complete set cost me about 15 pounds total.

:)
Ed

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Highlander are currently marketing their ClimateX base layer. £9.99 for long johns, same price for the top.

It is polyester and appears to be nearly identical to Lowe Apine's Coolmax stuff, but in olive green. It seems very good as a wicking layer to keep you dry. For sheer warmth, however, I would go with wool.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
locum76 said:
i work outside all the time.

if this is going to be the coldest winter ever then i demand to have some decent long johns!

can anyone reccommend some that aint too spenny?

Not long johns, but if you can get hold of one I would highly recommend the old British army tank suit. I have one, its an all in one, like a boiler suit, but a lot thicker, you get warmed up just by getting into it and it really keeps you warm.
I work outdoors all the time too and if I have a job in the cold that is not active, I will put this on. It was made in 1954 (says on the label) and was designed for use in tanks before heaters were put in, so I am told............Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE