Lightweight tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
I'm currently using a British Army basha but looking for something a little lighter. So can anyone recommend a lightweight tarp that isn't silly money? Been looking at the Alpkit 7 by what other options are there? Also, what size tarp do you go for? Thanks!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Thanks! 3 x 3 seems massive, though that is what they all seem to be. How do people find that size, OK?

Ideal for me. :)
Big enough to pitch in a number of different setups and still comfortably accommodate me. I'm 6'6"tall.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
[FONT=&amp]I was looking at the alpkit rig 7 as well Tagaeri, what puts me off though is that judging by the photos it looks like only the four corners have webbing for pegs, there are a few eyelets along the edges but I prefer webbing to eyelets.

[/FONT] Check out the thread by member Quixoticgeek she did a review about a lighter army tarp, I don’t know if it was any good but she may be able to help you with any queeries. this is that thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124860&highlight=

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
How light do you want to go? I too decided my British Army Basha is too heavy and have been searching for lighter options.

My current tarp for stealth camping is the Mil-tec Flecktarn Tarp. Which I [thread=124860]reviewed here[/thread]. It's much lighter than the issue basha, and yet plenty big enough for ground dwelling with a bivvi bag.

I also have a RAB Siltarp 1, which is 198g without bag. Again, plenty big enough for use with a tarp. Because it's only Green, I keep it for upland use when I am less worried about stealth.

The Alpkit tarps are hard to beat for value. I was going to get the Rig 3.5 until I managed to get the Siltarp 1 from needlesports for 30 quid.

HTH

Julia

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I've been using BPL's Duo Tarp for a few years now. It's 8 by 10 in old money (2.4x2.9m), and though nominally designed for 2 people - and I have used it as such - I find it an ideal size for one on my very occasional hammock trips, but far more often pitched as an A for ground dwelling. Plenty of room to sort yourself & your kit out underneath - which you'll welcome if it's raining!

I think any bigger than that tends to get a bit awkward to handle - especially in the wind.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Tyvek, HD trash compactor bags, good ccf pads *can* work if already carried, some use silnylon but the hydrostatic head can be an issue.

Tarp wise i would opt for silnylon whatever size you go. It is somewhat established in the fabric trade that a PU coating weakens nylon fabric whereas sil coat strengthens it, i can rummage for the articles discussing it if you like when i get time later. This is why PU fabrics tend to be thicker, although lighter ones are popping up as per the new lightweight dd. In effect for equal weight the sil will be more tear resistant, important on a light tarp imho. Abrasion i am unsure.

The rab sil tarps look good, been scoping one myself for 'UL' ground only use but not actually used/seen one. I have been using 3x3 to date, as said the range of pitches is excellent for a square tarp, but i mainly hammock camp.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I wouldn't bother with a groundsheet to be honest - everybody I know that has got very wet under a basha has done so because they use a groundsheet. none of them use groundsheets any more. A ground sheet under a basha often acts like a pond liner that the rain is often more than happy to fill up....

Your roll mat will keep your sleeping bag off the wet ground, and your bivi bag will do the rest.

Re. Bashas, the old british issue plain olive basha (sil nylon, issued after the 58 patt poncho, but before the current issue 95 patt dpm bashas) are really good if you can find them. They often go for silly money, but are significantly lighter. I bought a highlander basha on a whim a year ago in their multicam equivalent - that's actually quite light, and adequate quality. Not big enough for a hammock though.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I use a small section of insulation I use as a sit mat and a clean place to put my pack. It's basically some bubble wrap sandwiched between two pieces of foil. I use the same under my inflatable sleep mat just to protect it from the ground.

J

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Needlesports were selling the Rab Siltarp 1 for £30, I picked one up last week so worth having a look.

Secondary glazing film (polycryo) is about as light as you can get for a groundsheet, I use a 2x1m length inside my various shelters, weighs a massive 44g :)

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Ebay item231506402533
i use a basic ground sheet like this. Cost me all of £3 1mx2m in size. Quite robust and im not too concerned about buying a new one if it gets dammaged.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE