Lightweight 2 person tent, dedicated porch and head room?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Tunnels tents have been around for years. I have 3 Terra Nova tents (including a blizzard 2) and the quality is very good. Terra Nova are a British company (been around for over 40 years) and produce tents very much for the northern top half of Europe! The Terra Nova Quasar is an iconic geodesic tent that pioneered lightweight mountain tents.
I know of at least two people who have sent Hilleberg back from new because the stitching was poor they had to cajole the distributer to get them returned and sorted.
I own an Akto and it is no better and maybe slightly worse than my laser comp for internal condensation and the heavier fabric of the Akto wets out much more when you pack it up damp/wet than the silicon nylon of the laser comp.
I've been looking again at Terra Novas since I became less enthused with the Hubba - the fact that they're based here really helps with any warranty or repair business, and the current offer on the Pioneer 2 makes it look rather good value but that's only in the context of its RRP (it's rocketed in price in the past few years) but it really does seem to be a 1+ tent rather than actual 2 person with that width and asymmetrical inner.

Then the Helm Compact 2 pops up at its very reasonable price and seems decently capable. More spacious and sensibly designed inside than the Pioneer 2 as well.

I've also been looking longingly at the Tarptent Scarp 2 (unavailable at present, and US import only which makes it a much less appealing endeavour) and the Kuiu Storm Star 2 which looks brilliant (also unavailable at present, and US import only as well). And both way out of my original price range.

The tent rabbit hole continues...

Reactions: Winnet

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hmmm ... looking up at those in the latter review it occurred to me that some of those might not take wet snow or sleet too well. I don't know if that is of any concern in this case but up here (especially further 1000 km up) that is always a possibility.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
The Helm a good tent reasonable priced. The Scarp 2 is a great shelter but it’s not as high as some of the others suggested and is price of a small village, and grey…..
The colour's fine with me, but yes the price is a harder one to swallow with the import duty and fees.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
You may find some alternatives in this big review - though maybe you don't want any more options :)

or here:

Thank you! I'm thoroughly enjoying the process actually as each time I learn something new about niggles to look out for. It's window shopping without having to step foot on the high street!

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Hmmm ... looking up at those in the latter review it occurred to me that some of those might not take wet snow or sleet too well. I don't know if that is of any concern in this case but up here (especially further 1000 km up) that is always a possibility.
Snow is pretty unlikely, but heavy rain and winds quite likely - I agree that some of those aren't suitable, and thankfully the reviewer has called out at least one of those too, which is always good to see rather than just being endlessly positive.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I was very set on the MSR Hubba Hubba nx, but I've been dithering and thinking about versatility etc. so it's on the back burner for the moment. The Elixir 2 does look good, especially given the price and space.

The Hubba Hubba does look like a great tent too and while it's an awful lot more expensive, it offers quite a weight saving over the Elixir 2. But with that said, you're getting things with the Elixir that you don't get with the Hubba Hubba - a footprint groundsheet for a start, larger vestibules and a different pole arrangement which I think provides a more stable semi-geodesic design. If you're only planning to use a tent when hammocking isn't an option then I think the Elixir will stand you in good stead and save you a good deal of money over the Hubba Hubba without compromising on quality.

Reactions: hughtrimble

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've been looking again at Terra Novas since I became less enthused with the Hubba - the fact that they're based here really helps with any warranty or repair business, and the current offer on the Pioneer 2 makes it look rather good value but that's only in the context of its RRP (it's rocketed in price in the past few years) but it really does seem to be a 1+ tent rather than actual 2 person with that width and asymmetrical inner.

Then the Helm Compact 2 pops up at its very reasonable price and seems decently capable. More spacious and sensibly designed inside than the Pioneer 2 as well.

I've also been looking longingly at the Tarptent Scarp 2 (unavailable at present, and US import only which makes it a much less appealing endeavour) and the Kuiu Storm Star 2 which looks brilliant (also unavailable at present, and US import only as well). And both way out of my original price range.

The tent rabbit hole continues...
I was also quite tempted by the Scarp 2, but it was impossible to get hold of at the time and all those little bits of string seemed like something that would be super annoying in the wind.

A good way of cutting down on your options is to really consider what shape of tent that will work for you. If you want a lot of head room (not just up, but horizontally too), prefer sitting or kneeling when getting changed and don't like having the fabric close to your face when sleeping, then pick a tent with a more boxy interior. If you enjoy lying on your stomach/side when doing tasks, don't mind getting changed lying down and enjoy the snug feel of a lower tent, then the low to the ground options are worth looking at as you'll (probably) get a less noticeable and more wind-stable tent.

Same goes for the porch(es) - what do you want/need/like? Don't get a tent that doesn't offer you those things!

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I was also quite tempted by the Scarp 2, but it was impossible to get hold of at the time and all those little bits of string seemed like something that would be super annoying in the wind.

A good way of cutting down on your options is to really consider what shape of tent that will work for you. If you want a lot of head room (not just up, but horizontally too), prefer sitting or kneeling when getting changed and don't like having the fabric close to your face when sleeping, then pick a tent with a more boxy interior. If you enjoy lying on your stomach/side when doing tasks, don't mind getting changed lying down and enjoy the snug feel of a lower tent, then the low to the ground options are worth looking at as you'll (probably) get a less noticeable and more wind-stable tent.

Same goes for the porch(es) - what do you want/need/like? Don't get a tent that doesn't offer you those things!
I've got a spreadsheet going flagging those that don't/meet specific criteria, and I'm really needing it as sometimes it's the smaller details that are not at all apparent in blurb that has turned me right off the tent, and I see something that looks great but need to be reminded of the issue!

Having the specific things you want us indeed crucial to save reading endless reviews and specs. For me it's got more specific since this started, to:

• minimum internal height of 100cm, minimum internal length of 210 and minimum internal width of 120. As much inside at those dimensions or greater as possible.
  • Sufficiently steep sides to ensure both people on thick pads are ok, or designed so that the inner stays steep for a good distance but the fly slopes.
  • No drooping of inner onto your face even in heavy winds.
  • Two porches on either side of sufficient size to get un/kitted, to store wet gear, and cook.
  • Double zippers on the porches to vent when cooking, if it's foul out.
  • I've realised that for the wind stability I'm after, I'm going to have to up my weight limit, especially given it can be shared between two people.

Reactions: SaraR

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
That one was a competitor of the now discontinued MSR Hubba Tour I think, and rather cheaper!

Personally, if I was to go with that sort of design, I'd go with a standalone two person from Big Agnes or MSR, and then buy their porch add-ons which turn them into the Hotel/Tour variants (Hotel HV UL 2 rainfly and Gear Shed respectively) to give the versatility of the tent alone for one person use or shorter two person trips, and then expansion for two on a longer trip. It's definitely the more expensive option though, buying tent+porch modules.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Well...I've broken two of my pretty major requirements, but I like the dual atriums, the strength, the inbuilt versatility of the mesh or sealed doors, the theoretical stability in nasty 4 season weather, the freestanding design and the interior dimensions for the wide and thick pads for two people to be in comfort.

Terra Nova Ultra Quasar's test pitch on some parkland to see if all's in order:

PXL-20220710-174622510.jpg

It's over my weight allowance, but being the Ultra variant it's lighter than the standard Quasar, and it's also inner pitch first. I think it'll be possible to pitch the two together with practice...

Thank you all for sharing all your expertise and experience, it's been really useful to see the pros and cons of all the suggestions and also to learn about the specific things to look for in tent designs.

This all being said, this is by no means finished! Do keep the suggestions coming for others (and let's be honest, me too, the quest for gear never ends!)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE