light fireproof material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Does anyone know of some lightweight fireproof material to make a windshield out of ? I know plummers mats but they ain't half heavy really, you'd be better off with an aluminium one. Given that it isn't going to be directly in the flames it may not need to be plummers mat temprature rated

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can fireproof many fabrics using an alum spray.

It's sold for theatrical costumes, curtains, etc.,

Other than that....how about the stuff sold to cover ironing boards? the heat reflective metallic coated stuff I mean.

atb,
M

Purgatorio

Jan 9, 2014
The Netherlands
You coud check automotive or technical stores. A piece of a fireblanket maybe. But with with the stuff to put it, and keep it upwards the weight will be more than aluminium, or a titanium foil windscreen.
My ti windscreen is 23 grams and fully fire resistant. It is in fact a piece of my woodstove.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Kapton film is good to over 400 deg C, it's orange crinkly stuff they use in disposable smoke hoods.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Personally if it's for a windshield then you want something stiff so it stands on its own which material won't do.

On that basis I'd use a foil baking tray cut down to the size you need and just store it rolled up in your cook pot.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Actually, you could poke stiff wire through the fabric, easy if its more than one layer, or just through the top and bottom parts. Make the wire stiffeners long enough to push into the ground. It would be easily rolled away and packable after use. :thumbup:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Actually, you could poke stiff wire through the fabric, easy if its more than one layer, or just through the top and bottom parts. Make the wire stiffeners long enough to push into the ground. It would be easily rolled away and packable after use. :thumbup:

Just make a loop/tube of the material, and peg it out.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Nomex goes very brittle very quickly when exposed to heat; it's a save-your-life-once type of material and very expensive..........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE