Les Stroud seating cape thingy ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Hey all was watching Les Stroud - Plane Crash and he had a gucci bit of kit i think was made like a little back cape that hung from his waist to the back of his knees and he said "when its wet and cold and people have to sit on something to sit down i can just plod down anywhere" now i was wondering what it was? like a belt with a bit of waterproof material and a layer of insulation inside it, Can you buy them or did he make it? and has anyone made any other effective but simple bit of kit like this you would like to share with us all :confused: :lmao:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Haven't done much in the sitting dept (I usually just sit on my coat, hat or hood

but...
I have a Akuba (sp) hat that works really well - but when the rain is coming down sideways it has a tendancy to blow off. I also suffer from ear ache when the wind wistles round them.
So I made a flap that is stored in the top of the hat until I need it when I can unfold it (it's attached to the hatband).
Keeps my ears warm and my hat on my head because it's shaped so it hugs my head

I used the pattern from a baseball cap style hat that had the same function, just traced around it.
The outer is cotton waterproofed and the inner is a fleece - both offcuts from the local fabric shop and cheap as chips.

Did the same sort of thing for my crash helmet a few years ago except it went all the way round with a zip up the front. This one wasn't waterproofed because I didn't want the water running down the inside of my jacket! Kept the drafts out bootiful thou'

Cheers

Mark

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hey all was watching Les Stroud - Plane Crash and he had a gucci bit of kit i think was made like a little back cape that hung from his waist to the back of his knees and he said "when its wet and cold and people have to sit on something to sit down i can just plod down anywhere" now i was wondering what it was? like a belt with a bit of waterproof material and a layer of insulation inside it, Can you buy them or did he make it? and has anyone made any other effective but simple bit of kit like this you would like to share with us all :confused: :lmao:

I know the scene you refer to, it looked to me like a piece of animal fur with a rubberised backing held round his waist with an impromptu belt or tied tape or something. Instant fur seat. :D

Bit OTT for the UK I would think, but a good idea. Perhaps a bit of rubberised canvas used in the same way would work here?

N

NewCaveMan

Its just a piece of plastic that he tucked in his belt so he could sit down on the snow without getting his butt wet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE