legal definition of "locking mechanism"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
<groan>

If you have the courage of your convictions (not sorry!) go for it but if the copper/judge disagrees with you and interprets the situation as you need to move the ring to allow the blade to close then you would be wrong and have to bear the consequences.

In reality the chances of you getting nailed for this are slim but the chance is there. I'll send you a cake with a file in ;)

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Well the idea is that the sheath is loose enough to simply slide off, unless its being held in place, rather than jamming it over the clip to secure it

I'm not convinced of the argument, hence the thread lol but i'll b sure to forward any PO box if needed, diamond cutters preferred

I suppose i could actually just keep the metal ring for "outdoor" use, so it wouldnt matter as i'd have "good reason" anyway

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
<groan>

In reality the chances of you getting nailed for this are slim but the chance is there. I'll send you a cake with a file in ;)

be careful sending files in cakes, if the file has not got a permanent handle, it will then have a spiked tang, which would probably come under section 139 as a pointed weapon, although it may depend on what sort of cake it was that it was hidden in............oops......then it would be classed as a concealed weapon..........best stick to Kit-kats and ciggies.:D

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I suppose i could actually just keep the metal ring for "outdoor" use, so it wouldnt matter as i'd have "good reason" anyway

Yep, that's your get out of jail card right there. :) It's a fairly good idea to only carry fixed or lockers if you have 'good reason' there are plenty good UK legal folders out there then you don't even need to think about it.

be careful sending files in cakes, if the file has not got a permanent handle, it will then have a spiked tang, which would probably come under section 139 as a pointed weapon, although it may depend on what sort of cake it was that it was hidden in............oops......then it would be classed as a concealed weapon..........best stick to Kit-kats and ciggies.:D

My cakes are already classed as offensive weapons and in 17 countries, weapons of mass indigestion! :D

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Yep, that's your get out of jail card right there. :) It's a fairly good idea to only carry fixed or lockers if you have 'good reason' there are plenty good UK legal folders out there then you don't even need to think about it.

My cakes are already classed as offensive weapons and in 17 countries, weapons of mass indigestion! :D

Love my little higonokami folder, i refuse to pay 100£ for a scandi grind folder, when you can get a classic carbon/blue steel flat grind Higo for 20 odd lol

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
As Nicey said

But I get people want to poke and prod a little to see if there is any wiggle room but lawyers are smart, maybe not commonsensical but smart...

Not commonsensical and to my mind a menace to society at times. The reason I get so worked up about this issue is that the legislation could have been better written at the time. To my way of thinking a lock on a folding blade is a safety feature for the user just as a folding blade in itelf is safer to carry in your pocket than a fixed blade in a sheath. Of course from a legal standpoint I can perfectly legally carry my locking SAK when I have a particular use for it, but it would be nice if that privelege could be extended to EDC and did not have to worry about running the risk of having to defend myself against over zealous cops. Oh well I should let it rest, no point being a keyboard warrior every time the subject is raised.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Not commonsensical and to my mind a menace to society at times. The reason I get so worked up about this issue is that the legislation could have been better written at the time. To my way of thinking a lock on a folding blade is a safety feature for the user just as a folding blade in itelf is safer to carry in your pocket than a fixed blade in a sheath. Of course from a legal standpoint I can perfectly legally carry my locking SAK when I have a particular use for it, but it would be nice if that privelege could be extended to EDC and did not have to worry about running the risk of having to defend myself against over zealous cops. Oh well I should let it rest, no point being a keyboard warrior every time the subject is raised.

Growing up in londons estates i can understand why the law needs to be overzealous tbh, not convinced it really makes a difference, but it does make people feel safer, and often thats the best we can hope for

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
The reason I get so worked up about this issue is that the legislation could have been better written at the time. To my way of thinking a lock on a folding blade is a safety feature for the user just as a folding blade in itelf is safer to carry in your pocket than a fixed blade in a sheath. Oh well I should let it rest, no point being a keyboard warrior every time the subject is raised.

My understanding was that the law makers agreed with you, the intent was to allow locking pocket knives or rather not disallow them but the particular 'case' set a precedent which has yet to be overturned.

It's good to raise these things once in a while people sometimes learn something!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

So ciggies aren't contraband?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Believe it or not ciggies are allowed in prisons despite the ban on smoking in buildings, this was the result of a high court case.
Another interesting fact is if cannabis was legalised , the Government would have to allow inmates the use of cannabis, under their human rights, makes you think how daft the USA was to allow some states to legalise it ( although prisoners over their dont have any human rights laws....yet)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Having griped at the word of the law myself for quite a while years ago, I do accept it is written with a degree of ambiguity, and very well written too.

It allows carry of locking folding knives (a Stanley knife for example), and fixed blades (electricians knife). It allows you to go and do whatever you want to do with your knife.

and did not have to worry about running the risk of having to defend myself against over zealous cops.
.... Assumption? Or experience?

:dunno:

For your record, a folding knife is not necessarily safer to carry in your pocket than a fixed, sheathed blade. Once with a Tenacious (work knife, tree surveys), after jumping a ditch I put my hand in my pocket and slit my thumb. Second time, different knife, delved in my rucksack (dumped pack hard on the ground) and got a good stab.

The knife law works fine. Ok, sometimes I find myself in a shop picking up a few things and realise I still have my work folder in my pocket. So what, I'll take it home. And if I feel I may want to open an envelope, or help with decorations at the local pub, put something taskworthy but discreet in my pocket.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Believe it or not ciggies are allowed in prisons despite the ban on smoking in buildings, this was the result of a high court case.
Another interesting fact is if cannabis was legalised , the Government would have to allow inmates the use of cannabis, under their human rights, makes you think how daft the USA was to allow some states to legalise it ( although prisoners over their dont have any human rights laws....yet)

Not sure thats true, isnt alcohol banned?

Cannabis underage use and related crime has fallen, tax revenues are through the roof, people who abuse are getting more help (same as alcoholics do, instead of ending up in jail); too many positives to ignore, esp when you consider the approach many EU nations have taken which has significantly reduced abuse and associated harms.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Believe it or not ciggies are allowed in prisons despite the ban on smoking in buildings, this was the result of a high court case.....

It's variable here. Most jails and prisons have banned all tobacco use by staff or inmates. Bringing it onto the compound is a felony in and of itself (IF! the institution has banned it) I watched as one jail inmate got a 3 year sentence to state prison for Introduction Of Contraband.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE