Leather - Journal Cover

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

Been at the leatherwork again, this time a journal cover. It's made to suit an A5 notebook made by Leuchtturm...

Journal Cover 01.jpg

When making a journal cover, it's important to take some care to ensure that the notebook can be replaced. It would be a bit of a waste of time to grab the current Moleskine-style knock-off from the supermarket, only to find that they've changed the range a year later, and that the one you designed around is no longer available. Pick a brand that's been around for a long time and keeps their products consistent. It's also worthwhile considering the paper. For example, Moleskines have a poor reputation for use with fountain pens (the ink often bleeds through to the other side). After some research, I went for a Leuchtturm 1917, both because they've been in the business since 1917, and because their notebooks seem to do quite well with fountain pens. The book also has a free-form contents page, each page is numbered (so the contents page is actually useful), and has two bookmark ribbons. They're also available in plain, lined, squared, and dotted. I went for plain and printed a bit of paper with heavy black lines that I can slip under the page I'm writing on. That way, my scrawl should stay horizontal, and I get blank pages for sketching on.

Anyway, on with the cover. There are a couple of Sam Browne studs at the side next to the flap...

Journal Cover 02.jpg

They retain a leather tube thingy...

Journal Cover 03.jpg

...which is my take on a pen holder...

Journal Cover 04.jpg

While looking at journals for ideas, one thing I didn't like was the basic loop thing for holding the pen. They always seemed to be a bit insecure - the pen could either slip out, or the main part could separate from the cap. I wanted something that would keep the pen in place no matter what. The flat part of the holder is 2mm cow, and the tube part is 1mm goat, which is glued on at the edges and sewn at the closed end. Another Sam Browne for the closure (with the goat leather doubled over for better durability).

The cover is still quite stiff, but is gradually loosening up. The spine and the fold around the pen holder were wetted to encourage it to take the shape. It already lies quite flat when opened...

Journal Cover 05.jpg

You can see that the Leuchtturm 1917 happily lies flat when opened.

Another thing I noticed on nearly all journal covers that I looked at was the retainers that go around the covers of the book - they only ever go part of the way across, meaning that writing only a few pages from the start and end, you get a bump. I assume the makers did this to save damaging the book when it was being inserted and removed. However, with a suitable construction of the right type of binding on the book, it should be possible to open the covers out until they're almost parallel. I found that the casebound Leuchtturm did this easily from new, so was able to make the cover retainer bits full width and avoid having the bump issue...

Journal Cover 06.jpg

Same on both sides.

I'm really pleased with the result. By no means perfect, but pretty close to being exactly what I was looking for. The outer is 2mm cow, and the inner bits are 1mm goat. I did experiment with 2mm cow for the inners, but it was too thick - it was stressing the book. I might try a longer strap - the current one was an offcut from the main cover. If it doesn't retain well enough, it'll be easy enough to remove it and fit a longer one.

I don't actually keep a journal - I made this more to see if I could, and because nice journal covers have always looked appealing to me. Now that I have this, I may well write up the odd screed, probably as a sort of bushcraft diary. (I have no desire to write down my innermost thoughts, engage in one-sided gossip, or even record the events of the day should I happen to be visiting some strange Count in Transylvania to help with some legal matters. Oh dear, all my friends have been turned into vampires! I know! Rather than crapping myself and doing a runner, I'll write about it in my journal!)

N

Nomad

Thanks all - much appreciated.

I had it in my bag at work today, and took it out when I got home to find that the strap had worked loose, so I've added a Sam Browne stud as a closure...

Journal Cover 07.jpg

I think that will work fine (and I still have the option to replace the strap if I want to). I did consider other closures before I made the cover, but I wanted to avoid anything that involved having fittings on the two main outer surfaces that would be on a desk while writing. Anything like Sam Brownes or press studs would mean the book wouldn't lie flat, and would probably slide about a bit. The screw for a Sam Browne would also protrude into the space where the book cover is, and cause some damage. As it is, I was a bit lucky with the width of the strap, which was just a random bit I cut from the offcut from the cover - was playing with the strap cutter, and happened to try a 10mm width, then later realised it could work with the journal cover. It's just wide enough for the Sam Browne bits.

Rabid, I fear I may not be cheap if I were to make this sort of thing to sell. One thing I've learned so far is that leatherwork is pretty time consuming. I'm a beginner, and therefore probably slower than some, and coming up with a first design entails a lot of extra time to work things out, make patterns, etc. Even so, I can't see how the process can be made significantly quicker if one is to stick to a purely hand-crafted thing. I dare say the time per unit would reduce if a batch was made rather than a one-off, but it's never going to be factory quick. I already work with a variety of other materials and sort of knew all this already, but I have a much better appreciation of why traditional hand-crafted goods made on a small scale aren't cheap.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Superb. May I ask, was it hand or machine stitched? Also, what thread weight did you use - just learning about sewing now that I have a working machine

N

Nomad

Hand sewn, using waxed linen thread. The thread is called 18/3, which means 3 strands of No18 yarn (which is 1lb of flax spun to 5,400 yards, so equates to a diameter). It's nothing like typical sewing machine thread - more like very thin string.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE