Land Rover Freelander (don't laugh..)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
innocent bystander said:
Bowler for 50k ?

No, you want :
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

As long as we're discussing progressively sillier 4x4s, check out the Unimogs and Haflingers towards the end of this thread :drive: :
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=1976

Have a look at a Cherokee diesel, 35 mpg (or therabouts) on long runs at sensible speeds & all the bells & whistles if you find a Limited.

Only problems I found may be possible overheating problems with the engine (check the coolant colour & discard anything with rad-weld in it, I didn't & it cost me dear).
The mark 1 is cheaper on parts (mark 2's have horribly priced front wheel bearing/hub assemblies).
Don't buy an ex-offroader if you can help it.

I find mine fantastic to drive, it tracks well on the road (better than anything from Solihull that I've driven), has proper 4WD with a high/low transfer box & will go almost anywhere!

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
You could allways take a look at these the british army are !!!
I have had an SJ413 , shogun ,delica and now have a disco , they all do what it says on the tin !

Incidently i still have the delica up for sale , its an h reg manual (not many manuals about) . looking for about £1200 . Its even got a tow bar (they will cost you an arm ,leg and kiddney !!)
Pumbaa

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Labrador, I did consider the early Cherries for ages, but after a mate at work got a petrol one, I have gone slightly off them. The big factor was economy. I know the diesels are better, but i understand the 4wd is only part time and cannot be used full time on the road which is essential for what I want. Then I had a moment of enlightenment when I discovered that Freelanders can be picked up from £3000 and they're good nick! These have full time 4wd, all the goodies including air con, and all models are fairly economical as far as I'm concerned. A little bit of me was adding up the options list on a new one too.... but that would stop my DeLorean Fund which is a long term dream that I can't ignore any longer!

Pumbaa, I 'might' be interested in the Delicatessan as a short term stop gap. Have you any more details, pictures etc? I trust it is the 4wd job. Is it a full time (on the road) 4wd? What engine, economy etc?

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
toyota hi-lux surf, wouldn,t have anything else, mines 15yr old 70k, with all the goodies, air con, lecccy windows and mirrors, front and rear heaters, hard/soft suspension, selectable 4x4, hi-lo ratios etc, but the big bonus is the drop down tailgate,(makes a great bench/table) and get the back seats down and me and my son, 8yrs, can sleep in the back.

check out www.hiluxsurf.co.uk for more info and some for sale if you want to check out prices.

luxury 2wd estate car or rugged off roader, it,s both ;)

ship :beerchug:

ps: parts are readily available and fairly cheap IMO
1st/2nd gen are 2/4wd, 3rd gen permanent 4x4

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Graham_S said:
i'd buy any car that looks like a landy but can smoke a scooby at the lights.
as top gear said "buy it on a monday, enter it in the paris-dakar on the tuesday"
Yep,
Made by the family firm of one of my daughters class mates, top kit and number one on my post lottery win shopping list!

Edi_M

Have read through this thread with some interest. My wife has a 3 door 50th Anniversary model (98) with the 1.8 litre petrol engine. Cost us £22k with no ABS or HDC. Beautiful looking machine though.

A couple of things to consider.

The three-door is actually slightly lighter than the 5 door, and corners pretty well.
The ground clearance on the freelander is significantly lower than any other landy (and most other offroaders). Not fussed about centre of gravity here, it just makes it a sight easier to dig out of sand/snow. Chatting to the guys from trailmasters a few years ago, they reconed the freelander was brilliant in sand but that the clutch wasn't up to the job

On the issue of the engine, if you pick one up for under £5k you are guaranteed to have a problem - it's not a question of IF but WHEN. It may have already gone, but if not then don't believe the hype, Landrover will NOT bail you out. When ours went, they paid for the part - about £10. We had to pay for the fitting & no amount of screaming made any difference. The support of the dealer helps, but Morissons of Stirling were unsympathetic.

Saying that, if you can pick one up for around £3k, take it to JE Engineering, they can fit a strengthened cylinder head with a different gasket design for similar money to the actual cost of head gasket repair but add the assurance that it will not happen again. Add to that a stainless steel exhaust & ITG induction filter & you get 0-60 in around 8-9 secs. & you will still have spent under your target 5k

Aircon - on the earlier models, the cooled air is drawn through a pipe that sits right next to the engine & gets heated - a bit counterprocuctive to say the least!

Ours returns about 22mpg. 4WD is NOT permanent, but is determined by the viscose coupling - the fluid has been known to leak but you only find this out when you get stuck. Stay away from the bodykit fitted models or inspect any you might look at closely. Ours was peeling away because the kit is straight but the body is curved. This was fixed by painting & laquering the kit on the door after fitting rather than before.
We've had ours from new, and are disappointed at the current residual considering a year ago it was worth nearly 11K (I believe it books at about £4k without taking into account the extras), but the announcement of a completely new model has dropped the bottom out of the market. Wife wants a new car, & I'm torn at the thought of letting this thing go after all the money, effort & time we have ploughed into it. I don't like driving it but it looks great on the drive & is fine on snow, ice & greenlanes.

For reference, I drive a TD5 Discovery Commercial. I would recommend taking a look at the 300Tdi Disco, but make sure it's an R or S plate as the earlier ones had timing problems. So long as you're happy with the finish on the vehicle & don't try towing over it's capacity it will probably never let you down (just leak on you) Alternatively, I'm assured the earlier 200Tdi is an excellent engine, though I appreciate it looks it's age. I seriously hope my current TD5 never gives out on me, because I love it to bits. 32k miles so far & the only problem is the fuel gauge is reading different to the fuel warning light, but the dealer keeps refusing to fix this on the grounds that it is 'erring on the side of caution'. In other words, 'lots of them are like that & it's a pain to fix so we'd rather not'

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Edi_M said:
I would recommend taking a look at the 300Tdi Disco, but make sure it's an R or S plate as the earlier ones had timing problems.
There was a factory recall to fit modified timing gear to early 300 Series Tdis (including Defenders). Early vehicles with the modified timing gear should have a dab of yellow paint on the top of the timing belt cover to confirm that the recall work has been carried out. The yellow paint had been pressure washed off the outside of my 300 Tdi hi cap's timing case, but there was an extra dab of yellow paint on the inside of the timing case and on each of the cam belt pulleys which I assume means the same thing. :confused:

Edi_M

:offtopic:

havingagiraffe said:
There was a factory recall to fit modified timing gear to early 300 Series Tdis (including Defenders). Early vehicles with the modified timing gear should have a dab of yellow paint on the top of the timing belt cover to confirm that the recall work has been carried out. The yellow paint had been pressure washed off the outside of my 300 Tdi hi cap's timing case, but there was an extra dab of yellow paint on the inside of the timing case and on each of the cam belt pulleys which I assume means the same thing. :confused:

....but the dab of yellow paint doesn't indicate if any damage was done, nor how much. I know pure landy nutters wouldn't worry about it because they can (or have a mate who can) sort any ongoing issues. I suspect the different dabs of paint could well mean different things. My 300 had various dots of paint all over the place, though they seemed to miss some of the body when they built the thing......grrrr

First time I took my TD5 in for a service, I came to pick it up & they said "your recall has been done as well". "What recall?" "errr, don't worry about it, sir". If you buy a landrover, these are things you just accept as part of the package - or go grey & get ulcers trying to get dealers to care. Good thing they are so good offroad, coz otherwise they just would not be worth the grief.

Why not try one out and book yourself on a Landrover experience day or half a day. You can see what the Freelander is capable of. It must be worth the money before parting with a lot of cash. You may find its just want you are looking for, or not the vehicle for you.

Diesel is better than the petrol for MPG

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Edi_M said:
:offtopic:

My 300 had various dots of paint all over the place, though they seemed to miss some of the body when they built the thing......grrrr
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The recall was to replace poorly manufactured cambelt pulleys which could cause the timing belt to wear prematurely and eventually snap. If the cambelt did let go prior to the recall modifications being performed the damage should have been repaired under warranty. :deal: Funnily enough, I was discussing this with an agricultural and plant fitter last Friday. He reckons 200 and 300 Tdis cope really well with cam belt failure - he's never had to replace a head or pistons, just valves. He's not heard of Tdis becoming tempramental after a post cambelt failiure top end rebuild. :drive:

Even the newest UK market Tdis are coming up to seven years old now, so even a late one will be a bit of a gamble. :rolleyes:

This thread goes into the nightmare of getting Land Rover dealers to perform recall work:

http://www.landyonline.co.za/issues/tdi_problems.htm

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
I totally agree with Innocent_Bystander, I too own a Freelander 1.8 bought about a year ago on a V plate for £5k and its the 50th anniversary edition.

My dad owns a W reg Disco whcih although very nice (cos his one is top of the range) on the road where I do 95% of my driving it isn't as nice to drive as the freelander (it rolls a LOT more around the corners!), but if I wanted something that I was going to be driving on and off road fairly equally I might of gone for a disco, but then my dad has never taken his off road and probably never will!

I'd say for value for money you can't go too far wrong as long as its been fully serviced and well maintained (like with any car!), but avoid taking it to land rover dealerships as they tend to take the pi$$ a bit with what they charge you for labour and parts!

All in all, very happy with the Freelander as an everyday car which the wife is happy to drive too, (though the 1.8 K series is a little unrefined for motorway journeys). Its pokey enough, roomy enough, comfortable enough, etc!

Fortunately I have an old Celica GT-FOUR to keep me entertained as well :drive:

Geoff

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Yup, I bought the Haynes (of the Haynes Book of Lies fame) 'You and Yours' book on the Freeloader and am totally hooked. I think I will get a 1.8 in top spec with all the extras in black of around the 2001 vintage. I do really like the look of the front end on the 2004 makeover, and have found a company that can convert an older one using genuine parts, so it can't be too hard to do myself.

I think it is the ideal car for what I want, though I'll keep the MX5 for most driving, and maybe the Sportrak as a dedicated green laner.

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Yeah, I looked at that updated front conversion, but its like £800+vat last time I looked and due to the new light shape I think there is more work than they let on...

If you don't already own a freelander I'd say save the moeny and put it towards one of the revised ones. Unfortunately my budget didn't quite stretch in to the later TD4 and the old XEDi unit is a bit of a sloath I've heard, so it was the 1.8 for me.

I've heard the top spec Honda CRVs are pretty good too and have a very good rep for reliability, might be worth a look...

Geoff

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
Well just to have my tuppenceworth. I had to compromise as I dearly wanted a 90, but having a family and Grandson etc and commuting 30 miles a day to work, I went for a "car" that can go off road!! Rather than an off roader that 75% of the time would be...on the road.My 5 door 1.8 Freelander has never,ever let me down,starts first time etc etc etc and It does about 300 miles on a full tank,thats gong to work and around the doors.Ohh thats £34 quids worth of petrol-ish.

You know they make sense.:)
Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE