Land Rover Freelander (don't laugh..)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Spacemonkey said:
Actually, I have thought of that, but 185 knobblies???

[/QUOTE

Spacemonkey said:
Ha! I have just got mine going again after a month and a half lay off! Oil hose split on my Ducati and had to order a replacement and it took that long. Bloody Italian trash...

So you've already experimented with an off road Ducati..... :D :D :D

I'll get my coat.... :)

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
What about a Subaru? They seem pretty popular with a lot of rural sorts round here, and I would imagine an Impreza might give the MX5 a run for it's money. I don't know how much they go for but the forester looks like a decent motor for light off-roading.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I was thinking about a Freelander but opted for the X-trail having been scared off by the unreliability stories - I'm no mechanic.
I'm not disappointed. It's the best car I've ever owned, however the nearest it's been to off road is down a few muddy tracks when I go fishing.
I test drove the Freelander (on the road) and it rolled a little too much for me and any passengers in the back would have their heads touching the ceiling. I think the Freelanders look good but the resale value is questionable - that of course can work in your favour in the 2nd hand market.
I liked the X-trails' massive sun roof, the selectable 2WD, Auto & 4WD buttons, and the absence of the Freelanders roll on quick corners.
I noted in the 5th Gear (Ch5 TV) test the X-trail came top out of the Freelander, Honda CRV, X-Trail & others - and this included top in the off road test.

Like I said I'm no off road driver so I couldn't compare their off road abilities but the X-trail is the best car for me for road driving and the occasional muddy track.

They are pricey though.

Matt

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I'd ignore 5th gear.
They made the claims about 4wd's turning over on sudden turns, and proved their point by getting a stunt driver to drive a stripped down range rover on non standard tyres, down a runway and deliberately cranking it over. Waste of a good car.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
innocent bystander said:
I'd ignore 5th gear.
They made the claims about 4wd's turning over on sudden turns, and proved their point by getting a stunt driver to drive a stripped down range rover on non standard tyres, down a runway and deliberately cranking it over. Waste of a good car.

I'm not saying that 4x4s wouldn't roll over more easily than a normal car, but on that test on 5th gear, the Range Rover they used had a full roll cage,(heavy) and I doubt they uprated the suspension to cope with the extra weight. This would add to the ease of the roll over. He set out to do nothing but turn the car over.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Jjv110 said:
I'm not saying that 4x4s wouldn't roll over more easily than a normal car, but on that test on 5th gear, the Range Rover they used had a full roll cage,(heavy) and I doubt they uprated the suspension to cope with the extra weight. This would add to the ease of the roll over. He set out to do nothing but turn the car over.

I was quite disgusted by the way they did their test. It's like shooting yourself in the head, to prove that guns are dangerous.

The only thing that program is interested in, is sports cars, and if landrover had any sense, they wouldn't lett Tedious Niff, or whatever his name is, anywhere near their cars.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Don't like Discos as they look like a cathedral on wheels-bit too big for my tastes. New ones are great though, but like the Scooby Doos and X Trails (which I also like) are way, way out of my current budget. I can only run to £5k at absolute tops, hopefully a heck of a lot less, as I'm saving for a DeLorean too, and that is a bit dearer. Crud off road, but where we're going in the DeLorean, we don't need roads...

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i'd buy any car that looks like a landy but can smoke a scooby at the lights.
as top gear said "buy it on a monday, enter it in the paris-dakar on the tuesday"

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Bowler for 50k ?

No, you want :
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE