Laminated blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
I've just purchased a Helle knife.
http://www.prodat.no/LoopSites/hell...6&type=text&lang=nob&path=0,66168,69254,69256

I bought the 'Odel' from JLS
http://www.jls-wednesbury.com/default.asp?p=5990

I have, on my two existing knives, used an angle grinder on the top (blunt end) of the blade to create a 45 degree slope. I did this for two reasons.
1 To make my thumb rest on a smooth surface when using my firesteel which is nice when I have cold, wet hands
2 This makes the edge, that rests on the firesteel, a wee bit sharper which makes, I think, for better sparking.

My question is this.
If the blade is a laminate how will it cope with being attacked with an angle grinder? will it be fine or will the laminates be exposed?
I have visions of the different layers coming apart :confused:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The laminates are already exposed on the bevel - you can see them when it is freshly sharpened.

I doubt there would be a problem but no doubt someone more expert than I can advise you.

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
I too have purchased the Helle Odel, and I must admit that trying to get a spark out of it using a fire steel is one heck of a job. I have found that the spine of the knife seems to get chipped or dented during the strike, its as if the steel is just not strong enough for the job. If creating a 45 deg. cut on the spine sorts out this problem, then please post results - as I will be doing the same in order to gain some extra mileage out of what is a lovely tool.

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
Shankly said:
I too have purchased the Helle Odel, and I must admit that trying to get a spark out of it using a fire steel is one heck of a job. I have found that the spine of the knife seems to get chipped or dented during the strike, its as if the steel is just not strong enough for the job. If creating a 45 deg. cut on the spine sorts out this problem, then please post results - as I will be doing the same in order to gain some extra mileage out of what is a lovely tool.

Finally plucked up the courage to attack my Odel with my dremel grinding wheel.
Sadly no improvement. :(
Never mind it's still a lovely knife and it's no real hardship to carry the extra gramme lugging about the firesteel tin plate thingy

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
Well done Brixton, at least you gave it a shot, and if nothing else, at least we now know that laminated blades just will not give a spark....

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a Helle Harding & Eggen and both give really poor performance with a firesteel... I don't care though as I have the little striker that came with the steel.

I personally don't like the crud that forms on the knife when I strike with it anyway.

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
i have a S1 falkniven and have no problems using it with my firesteel
i get loads of hot sparks and never get any problems with the steel but it does shave lots of the firesteel but thats what you want

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE