DJP knife by dorset woodland blades (some pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
It has been a while since I have posted anything on BCUK, a quick update about me and my whereabouts- working now as a river guide for a dude ranch in Wyoming

A while ago I posted questions here about the DJP knife by Duncan out of Dorset woodland blades (known as fgyt) at the time it seemed like no one was using this knife and there was not one person who can attest for it. I went ahead and bought one to handle and then play with.
Please see this as a quick review and not an extensive one since I've just finished making the handle and the sheath.
I will start off with the flandi grind- for people that are not familiar with this grind it is a combination between a full flat and a scandi- this knife is the first for me with this kind of grind and going into it I truly understand that by trying to give a tool more versatility you are taking away the ability to excel in one particular area such as wood carving in this case. I don't think that this is a bad trade- my thoughts are split, for the most part the majority of us are looking for a knife that will do it all up to a "pleasing" standard, on the other hand I like doing lots of woodwork and my ultimate test for a knife is making a bowdrill set, of course a knife made for skinning or knives with a full flat grind will do the job but not at the same ease.
IMG_20130707_223209.jpg

Moving on-
It takes some time getting used to the "flandi" coming from a scandi ,on some simple wood tasks I find that I need to angle the blade differently than I normally would, it slices food very nicely though I'm not so sure if it does a better job than your average scandi. Bottom line about the grind is that I'm not convinced just yet.

Blade thickness-
At 6 mm thick this is a hefty knife, at first I was not so sure about fine detail work with this knife being thick and heavy but it proved me wrong doing the same exact tasks as my Woodie.
It makes for a great chopping knife
(small chopping tasks) and it excels at splitting wood with a baton (rarely do I do this with a knife but I figured what the heck). The knife seems like it would do a great job skinning and preparing game but I have yet had a chance to try that out.

When it comes to the craft world of things it's important to say that in no way is this a craft knife, it will probably do fine in the right hands but my personal preference would be a smaller and thinner blade with a true one bevel edge.
The knife gets a 4 out of 5 in almost all the categories , only once or twice did I want to pick up my Woodie.Bottom line, When talking about an all around knife that isnt a beast nor is it weak, something that can be held in hand for a while without discomfort or tiring of the hand, a tool to use without the help of many other tools(maybe Axe,and hand saw)- this would be the one for me ! i have a ordered another in 52100 and with a full flat grind so i would be able to play with that one too, i will hopefully be up and going sometime next month so stay posted.

IMG_20130703_133439.jpg

IMG_20130707_223206.jpg

About Duncan's knives-
So far I've made handles for four of Duncan's knives. I've been carrying and using his DWC for almost two years now- I love this knife and can't imagine using any other knife for years to come.

I highly recommend his knives.

some comparison pics with my beloved woodie, all my knives are working knives so now drawer queens :)

IMG_20130708_193017-1.jpg

IMG_20130708_193037.jpg

Jimp75

Oct 12, 2012
Australia
Thanks for the writeup, they are nice looking handles you have put on, what are the timbers?.

I have been considering Duncan's Dorset Pukko, did you order your blanks directly from Duncan? Will be looking forward to your views of 52100, hopefully you will be able to compare to a couple of other standard steels :)

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
IMG_20130817_115858.jpg
new blade from Duncan. And of course always accommodating. Hope to be ready soon in the next week or so search for the new thread

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE