Ladle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've just finished making a ladle from a bit of spalted birch.

The bowl is the main trunk, and the handle is a side branch. I cut two logs of birch from either side of the knot where the branch comes off, and then realised that the bit left was exactly right for making a ladle.

It was really hard to get the bowl hollowed out because the wood was seasoned, and the dense grain made it too hard to carve easily. I ended up drilling it out and then sanding. The bowl inside isn't completely smooth as a result. I finished it with ground nut oil.

I'm very pleased with it. :)

5747091693_c51d228e2a_z.jpg

5747641056_3e140a1409_z.jpg

5747641528_3abebf1ff5_z.jpg

5747093697_8e8e12eb11_z.jpg

5747642110_2ef617ce6a_z.jpg

I might add a lanyard for the handle, but I'm still thinking about that.

Thanks for looking.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Was that the section from the overnighter?

No, I've been working on this one for a while until I got the drill on it today. I've had the wood for over a year, which is why it was so hard. I made a set of spoons for my sister with the rest of the wood. I'm hoping to bring it to our next group session.

finite

Apr 28, 2011
Sydney
www.bushcraftoz.com
Nice work mate,

The wood pattern looks great almost like marble. Long the long handle too. And the imprefection on the peice i really think that kind of thing gives a peice more character than a perfectly machined tool. Well done and very creative!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I really like that!

Last time I tried the "drill out and smooth it out" method (on a quaich) It ended in a disaster.

Chris

Thanks Chris. This was my first time. I used a forstner bit to get a lot of the wood out, and then a rounded rasp bit for the shaping. the wood was really well seasoned, and so stood up to the numerous slips I made with it (I found it easiest to push the work onto the bit than the other way around, although the handle got in the way when using a pillar drill). Lots of sanding forgives a multitude of sins.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE