Knivsmed stromeng 9" from Attleborough ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Knivsmed stromeng 9" from Attleborough Accessories.
Anyone got one ,what's it like ?
Im thinking of getting a blade and putting one together.
Any pic's or comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

rb

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
If is the 1 I think it is, then I have 1. its about 5 mm thick, and a very prononced sharpened edge, its also a tapered rat tail. I've had the blade a few years and havent yet made mine up, I was thinking about passing it over to a maker on BB if they wanted a challenge.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
this one ...

17702.jpg

22310.jpg

Just wondering if it makes a good user and i'd like to see a pic of the sheath.
Also is the tang hidden or riveted ??

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Aye, thats the puppy. It would work very well as a batoner, not to mentiona s a machette. Its a hidden tang, but if your doing your own sheath you could do anything you wanted. As I said, I haven't made mine up as I only bought he blade. Its got quite a weight to it, so can imagine it would make a good heavy duty blade (gollock type work)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have been extremely impressed by the 9 inch model. It's getting close to the power of a machete. Great chopper but pretty darn light.

norwegianleuku1c.jpg

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I have the 8" old fashion, its a great bit of cutting kit, comes sharp but a couple of strokes on the water stone and its hair poppingly sharp! very good and well worth the money :biggthump

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I can only echo the above - excellent tool, great for heavy work but still good enough to carve a spoon with!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
The fellows above said it all. I did a mini-review on an 8" Old fashion, same as PW's, click here

Just to mention. It's not 5 mm thick. Only about 3. :wave:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
How do you guy's find the handle shape in use ,is it ok or do you have any suggestions for improvements ?
Also i have never used or tried to make a traditional sheath ,is it good or is there room for improvement ?
Cheers
rb

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Handles designed that way for chopping - you hold the last 3/4 and use a wrist flicking action to chop with the belly of the blade - very effective especially when you have gloves on.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
The sheath could be improved by making it one hand action. :wink: You need 2 hands to get the original out of the sheath.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
TheViking said:
The sheath could be improved by making it one hand action. :wink: You need 2 hands to get the original out of the sheath.

Sheaths designed like that for guys wearing mittens - in desensatized mittened hands squeezing the sheath is a safe positive action - if make the user think about what he is doing. I would imagine the Sami who tried changing the sheath design over the years are easy to spot their the ones missing fingers!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Hoodoo said:
Yeah, and when you grab that sheath just a little too high sometime, that big blade just might get your attention. :lol:

Exactly! :)

When your cold, mittens ect thats the type of focus you might need! :chill:

Actually it'd be interesting to see if any different designs were about, after all the Sami people arent stupid and they have used that same design for hundreds of years so it must be advantagous to them for some reason!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
the pommel cap is a sort of elliptical shape, approx' 46mm or 1.75" tall and 30mm or 1.25" across the beam.

i'm still in two minds about this one. the short scandi grind makes it sort of easy to sharpen, but you have to be very careful following the narrow bevel or you loose the angle.

this same grind seems to slow it down and stops it limbing as well as it might.

then there're the sheath issues, but that narrow neck retains the knife very well.

it's a versatile tool that gives you good payback for the weight carried. for UK based bushcrafty activities it could well be as much of a chopper as you'd need.

cheers, and.

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
I've not played with this exact blade, but I have used one of their smaller laminated blades. Although it is designed as a hidden tang, it is long enough to use as a through tang. I cut a thread on mine and screwed on a brass pomel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE