Knife laws of Sweden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
Slightly off topic but does anyone have any firm information on the knife laws in Sweden? For the canoe/camping trip id like to take one of my knives to use whilst I'm there, but unsure of the legalities.
Any information would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I really would not worry about the knife laws for while you are canoeing, or for transporting axes or bushcraft knives in your luggage for that purpose. I have carried knives, axes and parangs as hold luggage to the US, Sweden, Norway, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Brunei, and Canada. Some have arguably more restrictive laws for EDC than the UK, but tools in luggage for outdoor recreation are not a problem unless you make them so.

The important question is not whether there is a law against you having a bushcraft knife while camping. There won’t be. It’s whether there is a restriction on carrying your SAK in your pocket on the way to the forest, or whether it needs to be buried in your pack.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
It’s equipment, no problem, just don’t pack it your carry on luggage!
Full marks for due diligence before hand, I met a group of about 10-12 of our Scandinavian cousins in the Aviemore Tesco last year, all sporting puukko‘s :biggrin:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Kenny P and bopdude

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
Keep the knives in your pack when not in the woods, if traveling by car put the pack in the trunk and all should be okey. Blade lenght isn't anything that matters but if the knife is seen as a tool in the situation or not.
Spring assisted, butterfly knives and gravity knives is a problem as those doesn't fall in the tools segment. You can collect them but not carry them anywhere.

If traveling makes it hard to bring a knife Moras and Hultafors costs 4-5 pounds at any hardware, diy-place or a even some gassations.

Reactions: LtDansLegs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE