Knife and axe injuries (gory photo alert)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Good stuff.

Now a left femoral artery for a full house of injuries please!

That'll be me then. Not quite a knife injury, but the result of an unpleasant encounter with a very large piece of glass that broke in half and fell on to my leg.
There was a lot of blood.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Exactly the right stuff (reverse logic)

It reminds me of the time i touched a fingertip to the blade of my table saw (in motion of course) - didnt loose any of the bone but i knew i was in for some protracted discomfort. Took months for the nerve endings in the tips to loose the tingly feeling

Thanks for sharing Xav

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
no way you nicked the femoral? thats bleed out territory right there!

My landlady was just about to leave the house on her way to work when it happened.
She's a nurse, so I got to the hospital tout suite.
Unless there's any other artery in that leg, the med notes clearly state arterial bleed.

Do you want photos?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
My landlady was just about to leave the house on her way to work when it happened.
Unless there's any other artery in that leg, the med notes clearly state arterial bleed.

Do you want photos?

Of course! :D

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham

Do you want photos?

Marginally OT but my curiosity is piqued i do admit - er - yes please

Cheers
Nick

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales

Do you want photos?

You know the rules: "Pics or it didn't happen!"

It's unlikely to have been the femoral artery but could still have been "arterial bleeding". There are many named and unnamed arterial vessels in the lower limb. If you make a decent cut in the skin, you will get some "arterial bleeding", usually in the form of a fine jet of bright red blood. This is most noticeable in a wound which gapes open, otherwise the "jet" of blood hits tissue immediatley overlying it and then the bleeding appears to be a "brisk" ooze.

Incidentally, venous bleeding can be just as bad if not worse, as the non-muscular walls of the vein do not contract. The contraction slows bleeding from completley divided arteries/arterioles (though not necessarily before significant haemorrhage has occured.)

A particularly cynical surgical mentor once observed "all bleeding stops eventually.!" :(

Needless to say, carving with the work piece between your legs (eg. if sitting on the floor) is a bad plan due to the proximity of some capacious pipes!

Last edited:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Thanks for all your responses guys - much appreciated - and keep them coming for the future

Cheers
Nick

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
IMGP1216.jpg

Didn't get a photo of the wound but I had stitches. This comes from doing an axe review (search for Finlay Axe) on here. Basically I was not thinking. I stuck the axe into the chopping block (7am) and took a slug of coffee to wake up. Before the caffiene had kicked in and without a thought I put my supporting hand on the block and took my other hand to the handle and levered the axe out of the block. But I had placed my hand right next to where the blade would rotate upwards as it came out of the block. In slo-mo I went and sliced my hand. Ouch. Silly.

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
sorry no pics, but all my knives, i think a dozen by now, are baptized with blood

always small cuts and always when i´m working late and get tired and concentration slips.....

last one friday, deep but a clean cut, almost gone by now

cheers
belabear

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Folks

Just a quick word of thanks to the contributors of this thread - wet weekend - 11 TOTAL NOVICES - I showed the pictures and stories before we started - not a single cut bruise slice or anything.
So take comfort that your scars have saved others from the same.

Well done chaps & thanks

Cheers
Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE