kill it, cook it, eat it!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Have only watched the deer one so far, did and didn't enjoy it. It was good they explored the ethics behind killing / eating, it was good to see some personal reaction, but I didn't think the production was particularly good. There seemed to be a lot of drama for just one kill and some areas jarred for me, in particular the presenters attempts at interviewing subjects in the middle of a stalk on the hill :S I guess that's TV for you! I'd also have liked more detail on the intricacies of stalking / shooting, though admittedly that may have been a little outside the basic premise of the programme. Will still watch the following ones!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i liked the butchery bit on the deer program. It made me want to go and pull the fillet out of something.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
The bushman actually use a poison (paste made from a beetle) on their arrows to take down large animals. the arrows that i have seen have no fletching and the arrow heads are detachable so when the arrowhead pieces the skin the shaft falls free and can be reused. They then chase the animal down till it drops.

The poisoned arrow is their normal way of hunting, the ´hunt by exhaustion´ is a totally different one, no poison is used.

It takes a really hot day to start this type of hunt so the game is more prone to heat exhaustion, it is truly stunning to see the men running (and meanwhile tracking!) in this heat, a real battle of man versus beast. After running it to exhaustion, the animal is killed with a thrusting spear and subsequently thanked for giving it´s life.

In the movie, a hunt had to be cancelled after several hours (and many many miles of running) because the chased animal ran into a wildlife sanctuary where the bushmen were not allowed to hunt.

Cheers,

Tom

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
What really got me thinking was how hard it seems to stalk deer with a high powered rifle and scope! How did our ancestors manage to get close enogh to use bow and arrow or did they rely on snares/ traps?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but there are still plenty of traditional bowhunters around the world today. I hunt with a 40# recurve, made purely of bubinga. You still have to get within 20 yards

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
I've watched the one on ducks and the one on rabbits and I did find the programmes interesting and enjoyable. However, they were spoilt for me by the totally irrational anti-killing or anti-meat individuals that the producers feel the need to involve in the programme. I can't help it, to me they are extremely pathetic individuals and it makes my blood boil to think it is people like those that are campaigning and lobbying to have ever increasing restrictions imposed on the exploites of "normal" countryfolk.

I'd better not say anymore ! :tapedshut :cussing:

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I've watched the one on ducks and the one on rabbits and I did find the programmes interesting and enjoyable. However, they were spoilt for me by the totally irrational anti-killing or anti-meat individuals that the producers feel the need to involve in the programme. I can't help it, to me they are extremely pathetic individuals and it makes my blood boil to think it is people like those that are campaigning and lobbying to have ever increasing restrictions imposed on the exploites of "normal" countryfolk.

Too feckin right mate:D

Pentrekeeper...
...see my comment now (semi-)immortalised in British Red's signature. :p

"Leave the country to the culchies and the towns to the townies. Either one imposing their will on the other just isn't right."

I say that as one of the townies lucky enough to have an interest in the countryside that is pretty much entirely in line with the average countryman.

Agreed that it's annoying how people with such an unusual diet and set of morals have so much say over the lives and practices of those who eat a much more natural human diet (and even if it's not natural it makes no difference whatsoever - they STILL shouldn't have that say).

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston

aww come on now, at least this program tried to have a balance of opinion. although the vegan lady on the deer program did annoy me and my vegetarian wife. (i haven't watched the others yet)

there's plenty vegan and vegetarian country folk too by the way.

peace out.

locum
One thing I really like about it is the balance of opinion.

The problem I have is how badly represented the veggies are.
Including myself when I was veggie - I could think of plenty of veggies who I'd rather see on that show - and some of them are really good at arguing the veggie corner without coming across as hateful, provocative or just spineless.
Even after I went back to meat eating I used to get a kick out of arguing the veggie corner against meat eaters when they tried to make fun of the veggies in my then social circle. A meat eater telling another they should go veggie is a funny thing to see. :p

It'd have been nice to see some quality veggies on there :p

On the campaigning and lobbying thing though - the problem I have is those veggies and vegans who lobby to restrict the rights of meat eaters (and veggie hunters if there is such a thing) to eat and/or hunt what they like.

By all means make a decision not to eat something - by all means try to persuade others - but trying to ban it is just underhand.

Not that all veggies try to have things like hunting banned - I know I certainly didn't - even when I didn't like the idea (oh how I've changed - haha).

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i just watched the rabbit one. nothing new in it really. my dad showed me the effect of a shotgun at close range on a pumpkin when i was four, like they demonstrated in the program. I think that's one of the reasons I don't like powerful guns.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
locum, I'm totally chilled out.
this thread is about the tv program and my earlier comments refer to that - not to any wider issues.
it's not my fault the veggie/vegan individuals come accross as pathetic as they do - based on this the general viewing public are going to assume that all are therefore going to be similar.
if you have problems then they are with the producers of the programme for not screening the participants to find sensible balanced ones.

sensible balanced ones don't make good TV, and the producers are selling a product, not making a public service announcement. so unfortunately, it seems we're stuck with overly-emotional, unknowledgable (the veggies on the bunny episode? my gods, they were idiotic) people so that the cameramen can catch them crying and retching.

interesting, possibly easier and less risky (of piercing the digestive organs) way of skinning the rabbits, i thought. i've never seen it done that way, only ever with the pinch of skin, slit, pull apart technique, leaving the membranes intact. is this a better way of preserving the skin or something, and the estate on the show isn't really too bothered about it?

ganstey

Settler
I watched the Grouse episode and was quite interested in the mix of people they had, and their reactions to the 'event'. There was a veggie (of 10 years) who ate some of the meat, said she enjoyed it, and would start to eat more meat. There was a meat-eater who shot one of the grouse, be then couldn't bring himself to eat it. There was also a women who was a member of the League Against Cruel Sports, who said she was impressed at how much care was taken to ensure a clean kill, and how much respect was given to the animal once it had been killed.

I found it to be one of the most interesting and hysteric-less programmes on the whole subject of shooting and eating meat that I've seen in a long long time.

G

I watched the Grouse episode and was quite interested in the mix of people they had, and their reactions to the 'event'. There was a veggie (of 10 years) who ate some of the meat, said she enjoyed it, and would start to eat more meat. There was a meat-eater who shot one of the grouse, be then couldn't bring himself to eat it. There was also a women who was a member of the League Against Cruel Sports, who said she was impressed at how much care was taken to ensure a clean kill, and how much respect was given to the animal once it had been killed.

I found it to be one of the most interesting and hysteric-less programmes on the whole subject of shooting and eating meat that I've seen in a long long time.

G

Wow!

I'll bet she won't be popular for that - but that's a really really good thing to hear.

Maybe one less arguing against hunting and arguing for better hunting? It's an improvement anyway.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
Excellent programme.

I use a local butcher, with whom I've become quite friendly. He's teaching me various techniques - boning out poultry and joints, as well as dressing game. In return, I'm setting up a website for him. One of the most interesting and useful things is learning how to identify the various cuts on a carcase.

Since using the butcher, I've found that I'm spending less on meat than I would at the supermarket, and we're eating better. All the meat is locally-sourced; it's properly matured, and I can get just as much or as little as I need.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I watched half of the Deer episode ( I hunt Whitetail and Mule Deer, as well as Moose and Elk... Grouse too! ) and I found it very sensationalized!! The Best shot guys didn't get to shoot? but the Veggies did? The Guys really looked bummed out, and yeah I know about "Stag Fever", here we call it "Buck Fever". Usually though you miss the whole animal when that happens ( I did my 1st time out....:eek: ) but I don't think It would have been a problem for someone who had not invested many days hunting for his trophy Buck! I think with the ladies ( not cause they are girls, but inexperienced, and smaller framed) the Kick from a Rifle shot in the prone position, "flinching from the recoil" and missing would be more of a worry.
All in all , they are just out to make a big deal out of something the human race has been doing from day one.
:soapbox:
By the way, we have a bigger population of deer in Alberta then we ever have, and we had to Cull 3000 whitetail do to Chronic Wasting Decease. Very sad. But most of meat went to the food bank.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Wallenstein
Thanks for the heads up. finally found it on You Tube.
Quite enjoyed the Deer Stalking episode. Can relate as have done a lot of crawling when out after Mule Deer.
The Duck episode. Well the numpty gagging at plucking a duck was a bit OT. To tell
the truth I really didn't think that people like that really existed. Anyone think they threw in a ringer?:rolleyes:
Jon R.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE