Keen to get into leather working

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

6F2

Sep 7, 2007
and would really appreciate some pointers to good online and print media resources to get me started. Also any pointers on where to source materials and a good base set of tools would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

6F2

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Good day , 6F2.

Assuming that youre UK based, then you cannot do better for your aims, than to contact Le Prevo of Newcastle.

They have a website, all the item you could ever want, and books including of the very best.

Have a word with Ben, in sales, you will find him extremely helpful and knowledgable.

I am but one of their very many satisfied customers.

Ceeg

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
A look in the tutorials and downloads section on here would'nt go a miss either. Some really talented people on here :D

leon-1

I wouldnt mind getting into leather work too and Le Prevo seems to have the best products and hides. However i have never purchased anything because there is no online oredering system!:rolleyes:

Hi Jon, there are no online purchasing facilities, you can place an order and leave a phone number and LePrevo get back to you for your details. There are other places to purchase from including Bowstock who are cheaper on some things, but more expensive on others. Bowstock have got online ordering capability.

I wrote a tutorial on how to make a wet formed possibles pouch for the BCUK magazine if that is of interest to either of you, just drop me a PM and I'll try and sort some way of sending it to you. Have a look through the articles section on here for others. There is also a number of tutorials over on British Blades for leathercraft.

Any way why would anyone want to do leathercraft when you only end up turning out shoddy rubbish like this:D.

latestbeltpt2.jpg

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i would like to make one of them leather bottles or a tankard but havent got any lether working tools for it, what sort of stuff would you need and how much would it cost me to get everything ?
leon

Exbomz

Oct 19, 2004
East Sussex
I will confess I generally use Le Provo (where I started and have never had bad service from them - and do look at their clearance section - terrific bargains, especiailly when learning) but Bowstock do sell starter kits:

http://www.bowstock.co.uk/acatalog/Starter___Stitching_Kits.html

Learn on something simple and then apply your talents to more ambitious products. A little bit of background on stitiches, seams, edges, etc. might be a good idea.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
My tip is don't get carried away with the kit.

I do 95% of my leatherwork with an awl, some harness needles, a knife, linen thread and beeswax.

Leather_Bags.jpg

I've got a box full of stuff that gets used very rarely and cost way too much.

A good place to get cheap leather is your local charity shop. Old leather jackets go for pennies if they are out of fashion and old handbags can sometimes be stripped down for heavier leather and fittings occasionally

6F2

Sep 7, 2007
There's a lot of books around learning and so forth and it's bit difficult to know which one/s are good and which are not. Could anyone suggest a good starter book? I see bowstock has a starter kit with a belt project included, would that be the best starting point??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE