Kayak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
They're The British Canoe Union and joining gets you access to many waterways that are classed as a navigation. If the water is not a navigation you not allowed on. In Scotland you can paddle just about anywhere for free.
Just another case of the crap rights of access in England.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
martin said:
They're The British Canoe Union and joining gets you access to many waterways that are classed as a navigation. If the water is not a navigation you not allowed on. In Scotland you can paddle just about anywhere for free.
Just another case of the crap rights of access in England.

Thanks for that

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
One of my friends has just got an inflatable canoe. I think he's only tried it briefly once, and I haven't seen it yet (except in a bag) but the plan is for us to canoe from Woking to Guildford (or the other way round, depending on which way the water flows) sometime over the summer. Not sure whether we'll be allowed to - so thanks for the BCU link. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the legalities of it! Bit of a silly nightmare really.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Mark,

The river wey between Guildfor and Woking is basically navigation, ie lock controlled so there is no real current. A nice trip. I live in Farnborough and have paddled up the Basingstoke canal to Woking onto the wey and onto Guildford, a nice trip.

Moduser

Reactions: mark a.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
moduser said:
Mark,

The river wey between Guildfor and Woking is basically navigation, ie lock controlled so there is no real current. A nice trip. I live in Farnborough and have paddled up the Basingstoke canal to Woking onto the wey and onto Guildford, a nice trip.

Moduser

Wow, that's very good to know - thanks very much. We have currently put zero thought into it, so we had no idea as to whether it's actually possible or not. It's good to know that it is, and even better to know it's nice.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hey Pignut Just come in on this thread. I have a SOLAR 12' inflatable canoe. This is a one man job. My friend has the bigger version at 14' which is a similar but longer because it is a two man job. I look with interest on 'Song of The Paddle' but have never put any comments forward as I am NOT an accomplished canoeist.
I found my canoe after much looking. My specs were, well built, light, safe, well designed and portable.
This is made of the same fabric as the Avon inflatable dinghies. It has three air compartments. It folds down into a size which fits into it's own backpack and consequently portable. The pump is included, the paddles dismantle into three sections (they all float) there is a repair kit and a sponge for mopping it out (you get a wet b*m otherwise). I have often been two up and with 15 stone per person the only important thing is to make sure thas is is well blown up before doing this! We usually go back to back (and Bambodoggy passed comment!!!) This works if one person has the padles and it is decided who goes forward. On my own it is easy to handle and it has a skeg for directional stability which you can remove. I have looked at some at various boatshows and been very happy with my choice.
This is the smallest of the range. They also do a white water version, same length. I saw this one on TV recently where there was a white water competition, but can not remember the programme,sorry. This is slightly wider and has a different seat along with straps that you can hold onto with your knees. Then there is the two man version with two seats. This can be turned around and used as a long single seater if you have lots of kit.
I hope that this helps Pignut. I really have a lot of fun in mine.
I have no association with these apart from being a very satisfied customer.
Oh and my one cost £350 (but my memory is fuzzy and it may be £300)This was from the canoe shop just outside of Reading on the bank of the Thames.
Good luck from Swyn.
Please ask if you want any more info.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
swyn said:
I look with interest on 'Song of The Paddle' but have never put any comments forward as I am NOT an accomplished canoeist.

Just to clarify Song of the Paddle is most definitely not just for accomplished canoeists. I know Swyn was not suggesting this but just wanted to make sure people do not have a look thinking it is an elitist site.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
swyn said:
Hey Pignut Just come in on this thread. I have a SOLAR 12' inflatable canoe. This is a one man job. My friend has the bigger version at 14' which is a similar but longer because it is a two man job. I look with interest on 'Song of The Paddle' but have never put any comments forward as I am NOT an accomplished canoeist.
I found my canoe after much looking. My specs were, well built, light, safe, well designed and portable.
This is made of the same fabric as the Avon inflatable dinghies. It has three air compartments. It folds down into a size which fits into it's own backpack and consequently portable. The pump is included, the paddles dismantle into three sections (they all float) there is a repair kit and a sponge for mopping it out (you get a wet b*m otherwise). I have often been two up and with 15 stone per person the only important thing is to make sure thas is is well blown up before doing this! We usually go back to back (and Bambodoggy passed comment!!!) This works if one person has the padles and it is decided who goes forward. On my own it is easy to handle and it has a skeg for directional stability which you can remove. I have looked at some at various boatshows and been very happy with my choice.
This is the smallest of the range. They also do a white water version, same length. I saw this one on TV recently where there was a white water competition, but can not remember the programme,sorry. This is slightly wider and has a different seat along with straps that you can hold onto with your knees. Then there is the two man version with two seats. This can be turned around and used as a long single seater if you have lots of kit.
I hope that this helps Pignut. I really have a lot of fun in mine.
I have no association with these apart from being a very satisfied customer.
Oh and my one cost £350 (but my memory is fuzzy and it may be £300)This was from the canoe shop just outside of Reading on the bank of the Thames.
Good luck from Swyn.
Please ask if you want any more info.

Thanks for your help!

I think I will be going for one!

Just need to get the licence sorted out and will be good to go

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
First apologies to MagiKelly for any misunderstanding. I enjoy your site and browse on a regular basis. Just have not had any thing of interest to other people to write about. I really do enjoy reading about other peoples adventures and comments on your site though :D

Pignut, have a look on the Solar website,try and get it in English! or try
Bournemouth canoe and paddle (I think) A Google will bring a positive result! There are certainly more of these around since I acquired mine three years ago. I saw one at The Outdoor Show too. I know by the top corner of your posts thas you are up towards the north so probably all the suppliers that are near to me are too far away for you. They were out in force at Southampton Boat Show, with all three models on display.
You can get day/weekly licences on the Thames at the locks... not sure about other places. I do know that the Environment Agency is trying to join up all the dots to make users lives easier but it has not happened yet.
Swyn.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
swyn said:
First apologies to MagiKelly for any misunderstanding. I enjoy your site and browse on a regular basis. Just have not had any thing of interest to other people to write about. I really do enjoy reading about other peoples adventures and comments on your site though :D

Pignut, have a look on the Solar website,try and get it in English! or try
Bournemouth canoe and paddle (I think) A Google will bring a positive result! There are certainly more of these around since I acquired mine three years ago. I saw one at The Outdoor Show too. I know by the top corner of your posts thas you are up towards the north so probably all the suppliers that are near to me are too far away for you. They were out in force at Southampton Boat Show, with all three models on display.
You can get day/weekly licences on the Thames at the locks... not sure about other places. I do know that the Environment Agency is trying to join up all the dots to make users lives easier but it has not happened yet.
Swyn.

Thanks again will have a look!

A

Annie

If you're strapped for cash check-out ebay, there's several going for around the £200 mark, often with skirt, flotation & helmet thrown in.

Sorry for my lack of posting over here guys BB takes all my time up :)
Just wondering if anyone has attempted to make their own open top canoe ?
I have been thinking about this after seeing RM make the birch bark canoe it looked quite simple ,,,, looked being the operative work :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE