Kayak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The Dorset island people did not have kayaks, they used inflated sealskins instead. (leaving their legs at the mercy of the water...they did not have waterproof seams either...)

there is a website devoted to these lilos...I think I have the link, but cannot find it at the moment.

Most people I know who have them yearn after a `real` kayak.

However if you are strapped for both cash and storage space....

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Cash and storage are an issue, but nor do I want to waste the money on a rubbish kayak, It will never get any hard use just pootling about

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Tengu said:
The Dorset island people did not have kayaks, they used inflated sealskins instead. (leaving their legs at the mercy of the water...they did not have waterproof seams either...)

there is a website devoted to these lilos...I think I have the link, but cannot find it at the moment.

Most people I know who have them yearn after a `real` kayak.

However if you are strapped for both cash and storage space....

I did a google on this culture and it seems like they survived in an island in Hudson Bay until the beginning of 20th century. Facinating stuff. found little about the inflated sealskins though.

Torjus Gaaren

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I love mine(and yearn for a real canoe too). Posted a few impressions on Song of the Paddle. If you search for Sevylor they should pop up.

Must be living in the wrong country though, none of my photos look like that advert :rolleyes: .

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yeah, maybe I left the lens cap on.....

FP_APR_02.JPG

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
In case you're wondering, there's another rucksack(a 45l climbing style) crammed in the bow that can't be seen on the beach pic.

Load them up enough and they'll ride through allsorts. You'll be the envy of the asylum ;) .

kata

Jun 7, 2005
lincolnshire
Pignut said:
Just had a look at this over on songs of the paddle!

Wow!!!!!

I think I NEED one!

Go for it Mr C. Maybe you could sell your kites to fund it.... or even better use the kites instead of a paddle.... could be interesting :D :D

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
kata said:
Go for it Mr C. Maybe you could sell your kites to fund it.... or even better use the kites instead of a paddle.... could be interesting :D :D

Good idea!!!!

Think I will get them on Evil-bay!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Pignut said:
Not the "toy" they are made out to be then
Don't know if I'd go that far :p.

Honestly, you'll have to make your own mind up about how seriously to take them.
We haven't come close to their limit but one trip last year we seen some real weather and they handled it better than their occupants. We've since got lifejackets and are ready to have another go but the weather's been mild on trips since then.

Can't be ignored that the general opinion is that they're toys. I presume the folk who are saying it have tried them and it's a dead cert that they know more about kayaks than I do.

I'm not going to stick up for them. They float, which just about covers our needs. We like ours and are way beyond caring about general opinion :) .

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
After much serching and review reading, I think the following applies!

1: Storage/Transportation, these inflatables can not be beaten!

2: Usage! If you are traveling in the sea or on long haul white water trips an inflatable may not be the way forward!!!! but gentle waters not a problem

3: Kit. A rigid will not be beaten on storage of kit though as seen from above there is a fair amount that can be carried in the inflatables

4: die-hards will always call these a toy :lmao:

(Edit: They also look like bloomin good Fun!)

Out of shear lack of knowledge, is there any licence required for using these on a river?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE