Just out of curiosity.............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
The irony is now, of course, that clothing manufacturers have kidnapped camouflage clothing designs and made it cool to wear.... but only on the streets and in bars of cities and towns or at festivals! The moment you take it into the country and perception of its function and the wearers' motives change. No longer is it baggy camo combat cargo pants the fashion accessory, but perhaps baggy camo combat cargo pants the poacher accessory, baggy camo combat cargo pants the trespasser or intruder accessory or even worse.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Big Steve said:
The irony is now, of course, that clothing manufacturers have kidnapped camouflage clothing designs and made it cool to wear.... but only on the streets and in bars of cities and towns or at festivals!

I think camo cargoes conveyed a certain street cred toughness once but now that camo shorts are available from "Cotton Traders" catalogues surely it has become naff (after all, I got mine from there).

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
I would say wear what the hell you want to wear and to hell what others think, i think many wear it because its cheap and hard wearing, and where else can you get a new goretex lightweight jacket from for £25 . I have olive pants and dpm. It shouldnt matter what you wear as long as you get out and do it.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Here here Spoony.......I've worn my dpm jacket fer 15 year o' so, all over this great isle......it's practical, hardwearin' an' has many redeemin' features such as....cheap t' buy/replace...easy t' repair an' has loads o' deep usfull pockets fer stuff..... :)
I've never felt that it makes me an army wannabee, but after readin' the other posts in this thread.....I sorta regret buyin' me new Rsack in camo colours :lmao:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Well i don,t wear dpm any more, since a few years ago in two seperate incidents whilst out walking in my local woods wearing a dpm jacket, the first one the local fire brigade were practicing using a winch across a river when i walked past heading home,then i heard a firewomen say oh look a soldier :rolleyes: . The second was in the same area when a group of army cadets came running up to me and said "sir the enemy are on the other side of the river, should we engage them", the look on their faces when i said "err sorry guys but i'm not an officer" or indeed have anything to do with cadets,their look was of :11doh: mine was :lmao:
Sometimes i could kick myself as the fun i could of had at their expense ;)

So thats my reason for not wearing dpm.

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
To much of being worried what other people think.........I wear camo head to toe and i use (OH HORROR!) face paint...Britsh DPM at that, and Im in America..I use Blackhawk gear for my LBE Rig and my Ruck..I dont care what people think or what vibe they get....I cant help what they wish to assume...People are going to think what they want regardless...Im there to practise survival not for a fashion show...

There are plenty of reason to wear it in the woods besides concealment..Its cheap, abundant, and it able to withstand hard use..

My meat and potatoes is E&E survival and I do it for my own reasons....Dont spend much time worried about what a bird watcher or nature hiker thinks about me and what I wear..If they even see me...

ES

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
Yes, well the difference with wandering around the American boondocks dressed in full camouflage and doing it in the UK is one of scale. This is a tiny sinking island with over 60 million of the Great Unwashed squeezed onto it with a (relatively) tiny amount of woodland left (thanks you Neolithic eco-terrorists!)and the US is a whole continental landmass with vast forests and only 260 million souls grubbing around on it....forgive me Canada; you too). You kinda get lost in your woods: we can't and don't..... except those that do and that's just the gene-pool doing some housekeeping. You can't go to many places in the UK now without seeing some sign of human habitation or presence and, in recent years, people have got sorta twitchy..... and you also have the added joy of itchy fingered firearms officers treating members of the public to a full magazine of 9mm parabellum at close range with little or no warning, which makes carrying a good working knife a bit of a game of roulette, let alone doing it in full camouflage with LBE etc! So remember fella... YOU BIG... we small.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
East Scout said:
To much of being worried what other people think.........I wear camo head to toe and i use (OH HORROR!) face paint...Britsh DPM at that, and Im in America..I use Blackhawk gear for my LBE Rig and my Ruck..I dont care what people think or what vibe they get....I cant help what they wish to assume...People are going to think what they want regardless...Im there to practise survival not for a fashion show...

There are plenty of reason to wear it in the woods besides concealment..Its cheap, abundant, and it able to withstand hard use..

My meat and potatoes is E&E survival and I do it for my own reasons....Dont spend much time worried about what a bird watcher or nature hiker thinks about me and what I wear..If they even see me...

ES

So what's your favourite automatic weapon for bushcraft?
gbxblazin.gif

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
Big Steve said:
Yes, well the difference with wandering around the American boondocks dressed in full camouflage and doing it in the UK is one of scale. This is a tiny sinking island with over 60 million of the Great Unwashed squeezed onto it with a (relatively) tiny amount of woodland left (thanks you Neolithic eco-terrorists!)and the US is a whole continental landmass with vast forests and only 260 million souls grubbing around on it....forgive me Canada; you too). You kinda get lost in your woods: we can't and don't..... except those that do and that's just the gene-pool doing some housekeeping. You can't go to many places in the UK now without seeing some sign of human habitation or presence and, in recent years, people have got sorta twitchy..... and you also have the added joy of itchy fingered firearms officers treating members of the public to a full magazine of 9mm parabellum at close range with little or no warning, which makes carrying a good working knife a bit of a game of roulette, let alone doing it in full camouflage with LBE etc! So remember fella... YOU BIG... we small.

You just discribed america........

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
matt-w said:
I'm going to order one of these to keep my ears warm whilst shopping (esp in the freezer section in Tesco) come the winter...

t_balaclava_3hole_offer.jpg

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :joke:

Matt.

Man that would go so well with my blackhawk chest rig and para smock. Just the thing for those chilly nights guarding the cooked meats. :AR15firin

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
Martyn said:
Hey no worries ES, just pulling yer leg. Each to his own mate. :)

Exactly, no worries at all...To each his own......I get the comments about the camo all the time..I was stopped just yesturday but a Federal Park Ranger,,He gave me the look..then gave me the run of questions w. some interjected comments..He gave my kit a good looking over....We talked a bit and shook hands and I was on my way...........

ES

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE