Just out of curiosity.............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Just wondering why some British posters here advise against wearing military camo patterns out in the bush. It's quite common to see someone in the U.S. wearing some military camo out in the bush (even though no one ever wears the full matching combination - trousers + smock). It doesn't really bother anyone. However, I was just curious why so many speak against wearing it in certain parts of the UK? Could you inform this ignorant Yankee? :lmao:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Most people think you look like a Johnny Rambo type wearing camo gear. Personally, I don't wear it because I wear it to work, is't nice to get out of it for a while!!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
There is also a more serious side to the answer!

in 3rd world countries you could be mistaken for a mercenary soldier and shot on sight!

another side is if you're on your own and collapse in a bush , no ones gonna find you! (devils advocate would say well would you get found anyway!)

aside from the fashion issue, most that use camo wear parts of it as you say to get some effect.
it's far more acceptable to walk into town with combat trousers on or just the top but both as spamel says
you look like a Johnny Rambo type

we had years of problems convincing people that survival was ok and not a wierd thing Camo just seemed to get in the way sometimes portraying some as SAS wannabes, or special forces eliteist.

i uesd to wear Full camo years ago and i did get people ask if i wanted to be in the SAS! though i liked the gear i didn't like the image i was sending out!

that's not what Bushcraft is about....there are some crossovers with survival, but we want to keep the good image not the iffy one!

(by "iffy" i mean potential to misunderstand or misrepresent!)

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
in 3rd world countries you could be mistaken for a mercenary soldier and shot on sight!

I believe that it is only in some African states that you are not allowed to wear camo as it is military only kit. I think there was a thread on BCUK some time ago.

It is not the case in many East Asian countries - its construction site gear for many workers- but obviously going bush in Tamil areas of Sri Lanka or rebel areas of Burma is not advisable for the reasons given.

In my neck of the woods there are three armies on the ground not counting visitors on joint exercises - I avoid it like the plague tho' if I can help it.

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
I hate the way people associate camouflage with "wanting to be an army person". It really pis*** me off! I had to put up with it for 5 years at secondary school because I wore combat trousers and took a green rucksack on school trips. I stick to olive or khaki, safer, and nicer to the eyes, IMO.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I agree, you could look a bit "Rambo" if dressed in DPM/camo gear from head to foot, but in my eyes people still look "Rambo" when they wear black boots, and green trousers, jackets backpacks and hat etc. What's all the fuss if you are spending most of your time in the woods or on the hills, do you really care what onlookers may be thinking?

Just my pennies worth, no offence meant to anyone

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
I dont know what your security situation is like over there at the moment but I always thought that the security issues from our presence in Northern Ireland meant that our soldiers were banned from wearing uniform in public (except going to and from work etc). .
I think this has lead to people just looking out of place if they wear camo patterns in public. It still doesnt mean people feel conscious if they wear camo on a building site though.I always had the impression that a service man in uniform was a normal sight in the US.
Among others, the biggest reason I dont wear DPM out is because my wife thinks I look a chopper.
The only time I get annoyed with someone wearing camo in public is if it is part of their 'fashion'. I dont want to be too political but it does my nut when some air head thinks they look cool in a pair of camo fashion jeans and a Chez Gavara T shirt (no insult to Mr Gavara intended). I have no problems with someone using robust military gear, but not for fashion.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Agreed Alchemist, my wife is not in love with my new DPM Bergen pack either, mutterings of "act your age you old fart" spring to mind.

After several years, she had just about got used to stoves turning up on a regular basis, I'm afraid the Bergen has opened up old wounds, I'm getting "those" looks again :rolleyes:

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
In some countries I would avoid not just "cammo" but any type of green clothing or kit. You can come accross some scary situations and something like that can tip the balance one way or the other.

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
I must admit that being an ex squaddie the last thing I want to wear on my "days out" is anything remotely associated with the services, 8 years of pressing and starching green stuff was long enough.. Its different if I go paintballing but in the great outdoors camouflage and concealment is not a priority nor a necessity for me and I would much rather be comfortable and more obviously visible to fellow walkers/bushcrafters. This does not mean that orange lycra bottoms and pink string vests are now my preferred apparel for bushcraft, far from it, but if I were to go out hunting or if I was on a budget I would be more inclined to use military kit, as it can prove to be affordable, robust and it is designed with the sole purpose of helping the wearer blend into their surroundings. One thing that I have noticed, is that ex-forces personel are less likely to wear DPM gear than those who have never had to wear it every day of their working life...... Cant think why.. ;) Having said all of that Im not adverse to using my ex-forces camping gear.. (Bivvi bag etc) :)

Shankly

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not much chance of me getting shot in Africa then
rikberg3.jpg

I'm a very mature student (I know, you would never guess looking at me), It had being snowing in Wales the morning I got the choo choo to school, trust Wales, it then peed down, warmed up, and I got very hot on the train home

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
'Tis funny that everyone always mentions Rambo when it comes to wearing Army gear. Funny, as Rambo wore jeans and a dirty vest. Ok, he had an M65 OG jacket but that was before he was thrown in the pound. In the other films i think he only wore trousers and a red bandanna, but I could be wrong... Not much in the way of cammo then??

It's also funny how I can wear my genuine 'Nam issued Tiger Stripe BDU jacket on the high street and no one cares, yet if I wear it in the woods, people think I'm a nut. Odd...

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Alchemist said:
The only time I get annoyed with someone wearing camo in public is if it is part of their 'fashion'. I dont want to be too political but it does my nut when some air head thinks they look cool in a pair of camo fashion jeans and a Chez Gavara T shirt (no insult to Mr Gavara intended). I have no problems with someone using robust military gear, but not for fashion.

But my A&F combats are much cooler than DPM trousers.... :rolleyes:

You shouldn't get so upset over such trivial matters. ;)

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
I remember reading several times that members of a group of French youths were shot by security forces in a North African (Maghreb?) country some years ago simply because they had been wearing surplus military clothing whilst trekking in a historically tense area and been mistaken for potential hostile forces. I also recall in some book or article that, in the past, shots have been fired at individuals wearing camouflage clothing whilst walking in the Pyrenean Basque area of Spain. However, I can't quote a source for these incidents and it may be merely apocryphal... so don't quote me.

Mar 11, 2006
Near Heathrow
Rescue teams responding to disasters all over the world are specifically told NOT to wear or bring anything "military" in case they are mistaken for mercenaries etc and shot at.

In countries with unstable governments or dictatorships this is a very real reality and danger.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Big Steve said:
However, I can't quote a source for these incidents and it may be merely apocryphal... so don't quote me.
Ray Mears :notworthy: also recommends in his "Bushcraft" book that you avoid it as people can mistake you for military personell.

Some people actually like that, but as you said most who have been in tend to avoid it. One of my ex RSME mates always rips the :censored: out of me if I have anything DPM (like my basha!) but he actually approved of my 58 pattern water bottle buit then its in an OG holder :)

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
In the UK, there's been a couple of horrific murders which have been associated with Army wannabees. The Michael Ryan murders is one that springs to mind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/crime/caseclosed/hungerford.shtml

Unfortunately his obsession with guns, swords and military (including cammo) instantly spooked the British public and (as we Brits tend to do) we tarred every cammo wearer with the same brush.

Rambo (as has been discussed) made cammo wearers (in the perceived view of the public) into Army wannabees. The Rambo films came out just before Ryans killing spree and is said by some to have influenced it (although it could never be proved). Put the two together plus the quasi-military connections with terrorists (not just recent acts of terrorism - we're talking troubles in Northern Ireland since the late 60's) and there you have a great mistrust which the Great British public can't seem to shake off.

Paul

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I think the main reason is that there is no real reason to wear it. There are lots of alternatives that dont have the same connotations, so why would somone choose to wear something with pseudo-military overtones, when they could choose something else that is more "friendly"? Green trousers dont draw the same attention and standard issue lightwieghts pass the "friendly" test without raising an eyebrow, are available from most surpluss stores, are cheap and tough - so why buy camo?

Camo is military clothing. There is no significant % of the population that hunt, as in the US, which letitamizes wearing it.

So people question the motives of those that do wear it, and assume they have some unhealthy military obsession. There is a crazy fringe element surrounding bushcraft that is occupied by camo-wearing people with a fantasy/desire to survive a post apocalyptic world in their bunker, stuffed with MRE's and armed to the teeth. I think most people would like to distance themselves from these loonies.

Camo itself isnt bad, but that's not really the point. It's the desire to not be associated with the crazy people that stops folks wearing it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE