just getting into bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 4, 2007
not big bushcraft person but i enjoy the out doors. always liked the idea of being able to live without the modern world. unfortunatly im not the comitted type and i enjoy to much of the modern world to really get out there and make it proper hobby of mine so im bascially a wannabe and i appologise if you despise people like me. however i've been trying to see if i can make fire by friction in my garden started off using only what i could find made my string found a good cutting stone made a spindle and (base bit thing me bob) cut a triangle out the side of it and used a shell as a rest to hold the spindle. unfortunately all i could get was lots of black dust and occasionally some smoke, i have now got bored with failure after count less attempts and was wondering if any one could give any advice like what woods are good for what, how long it take to get embery stuff to get my nest going, how long it normally takes to learn, any advice would be greatly appreciate

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Firstly, bushcraft means many things to many people. You just do what you want, when and where you want (err.. within reason that is). What I mean to say is many people practice in their backyards. You don't have to buy expensivve kit and wander into the wilderness for weeks on end. Just enjoy it! But an important point is don't give up!

There are many people who could advise you better than me on fire by friction. It sounds like you've got the rough idea. Apart form selecting the right woods, I've found that putting continual downward pressure and speed to cause the right amount of friction is hard work. The technique is one of the most important things. Keeping the spindle 90 degrees to the hearth; good downward pressure; smooth flowing movements. When you see smoke, then that's when you should speed up and and go for the ember. Conditions play a big part. You might have had a damp day there.

Pablo.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
A lot of people recommend a hazel drill on an ivy wood hearth.

Willow, or poplar (cottonwood) drill on will or poplar hearth is also good. Other good woods for hearths:- horse chestnut, london plane.

The key skill is not giving up. Took me months to get my first coal, using probably less than ideal woods.

I have huge respect for you already. :You_Rock_

A

Alex.W

Hi I'm new here too.
I agree with Pablo, just take what you want from 'bushcraft' I do most of my stuff in the garden and thats fine. Keep going with the bowdrill. Its hard work but worth it, I have done it once and that was with an instructor but you just have to keep practising. I'm sure you'll get loads of help from everyone here.:You_Rock_

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It took me forever to get my first fire this way too!
But the feeling when I first did it - priceless.
Keep trying.
My favourite combi of woods (at the moment) Hazel on Ivy, both BONE DRY....

Sep 4, 2007
thanks for all the good feed back i not going to write much because im now ichting to go and have another bash (probably another 100 bashes actually) but the point is im going to keep at it

Cheers

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thats a good attitude to have, I made my first fire using this method with John Fenna in attendance, I had made embers before but had never managed to transfer it to the tinder properly (which is probably the easiest part!:rolleyes: ) my tinder bundle was always too loose. But after a bit of tuition from John I had my tinder bundle up in flames, although it did take a few attempts and alot of sweating.
So all I am trying to say is keep going with your efforts because when you finally make it you'll feel excellent!
Good luck mate...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I had success with sycamore on sycamore. As it took me ages with skinned knuckles and various fits of temper and outbursts, the missus didn't believe it could be done. I proved to the missus that it did work by doing it with an electric drill chuck, which she still berates me for to this day! I eventually did it with a bow, much more of a satisfying feeling than using a bosch power drill!

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Find the right dry wood for bow drill Find the technique Find dry tinder bundle Find dry fire wood hopfully a dry day good luck fella weve all been there

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE