Just a wasp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
A couple more critters from the last few days.

1. hoverfly (Volucella bombylans)

beefly.jpg

2. My attempt at a shot like Pignut's, it's so hard to get the timing right and the focus somewhere near. Even then the little swine decide to face the wrong way. :banghead:

bumbleglove.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Love the hoverfly (and sandbenders nest builder)

Its very hard isn't it? This is the best I've managed since seeing yours

2612968329_5676ceeb4b.jpg

Also this young GSW who hasn't learned to be quite as wary as mum and dad yet!

2613812000_604ede14e6_o.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Err - 50? :D

Is it me or is that his tongue sticking out ? :)

Thanks Jon - they are nesting in those big tees behind the dutch barn - nice to see

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jump right in any time Stephen - its fun comparing stuff (plus I learn a lot from the knowledgable people when I just take snaps with me box brownie!)

Red

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
This wasp has been in and out of our flat over the last few days on a mission to build small nests, either on the sleeve of my motorcycle jacket or the folds of the curtains.

I'm having little luck in catching a good shot of her, she is way too fast...

wasp02.jpg

However here is a nice one of a completed nest...

wasp01.jpg

Not sure what type of wasp she is. She is quite large though at about three centimeters nose to tail.

Could be Chalybius sp., a Sphecid wasp, but my knowledge of east European wasps is not good. This particularly species is known as one of the mud-daubers. There 'constructions' are similar to the well known potter wasps or Eumenidae.

Hope that helps.

Scrubbity

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fantastic!

Was the sand lizard on wood shavings of some sort?

Either way who cares? Fantastic photos - I consider myself outclassed but will keep competing to learn :D

Red

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Fantastic!

Was the sand lizard on wood shavings of some sort?

Either way who cares? Fantastic photos - I consider myself outclassed but will keep competing to learn :D

Red

I am but a rank amateur who gets lucky sometimes, besides which, we've seen some of your shots, outclassed my posterior region!!.

I'm building another log cabin and the lizard came and sat on one of the logs that was covered with chips from my chainsaw. I was just packing up for the day, 5 mins later and I'd have missed it.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just a couple from today - nothing very startling

The garden is full of wee warty jumpies right now - they always seem to breed in our pond

2641673689_daae7a0b89_o.jpg

and a cyclops hoverfly ;) (his head is tilted to one side of course really)

2642502130_30084078ed_o.jpg

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE