Just a wasp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
But not a "common" one - I think it might be a digger wasp?

Either way a fearsome beast (even if only 1cm long :))

2564856303_117076c362.jpg

Red

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Nice shot Red, glad they're not that big in real life. What kit do you use for macro pictures? I've been playing about in that area recently but really need a proper macro lens. I've got the odd decent shot though, I'll see your wasp and raise you a spider.

wolfie1.jpg

Nursery Web spider (Pisaura mirabilis) originally posted on BB while BCUK was down

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Gorgeous!

My Rig is a Canon Eos 400D with an EFS 60mm macro

Oh - your spider - up some cabbage aphids :)

2561916251_7992f033b0_o.jpg

Red

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Thanks for the Macro tip, myself and the Mrs are looking to get a Canon 450D late this year, we also would love a good macro lens. I have friends who have more money than photography skills and I find it funny how they buy expensives camera's and big zoom lenses and think thats what its all about!... I find I really enjoy macro shots, I think a good macro lense will be first on my agenda.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice - I only got the lens recently (present from the lovely Bushbaby) so I haven't tried it out on the butterflies yet

I'll offer this one of a silver studded blue to close

1008645193_3f6eae9d07_o.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the Macro tip, myself and the Mrs are looking to get a Canon 450D late this year, we also would love a good macro lens. I have friends who have more money than photography skills and I find it funny how they buy expensives camera's and big zoom lenses and think thats what its all about!... I find I really enjoy macro shots, I think a good macro lense will be first on my agenda.
Its a weird art though - depth of field is like 1mm - you need just as steady a hand as, say a 400mm telephoto (or a tripod )

That little digger wasp had a 2mm head - you have to get freaky close but its lots of fun - I have some curious shots of lichen which is weird stuff up close - lovely though.

Its all very new to me and I'm still experimenting and relying on lots of other people for identifications (along with the great Collins Complete British Insects). I wish I was better at it but its great fun messing

Red

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
I was going to quit but I just found this chap when I let the dogs out.

bufobufo.jpg

BTW if you haven't seen it there's a current thread on British Blades, Bushcraft forum called something like "in between the rain" which has got some astounding macro shots on it.

Steve

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now that is a stonking photo! Love it - fantastic composition

Keep em coming - really inspires me to get out and take some more :)

sadly work beckons:(

Red

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
Good stuff Maver, love the spider, is it another P. mirabilis like the one above? Don't know what the fly is but I don't think it's very healthy.

This one is a ruby-tailed wasp, not sure which one as there are apparently several very similar looking species. They are parasitic beasties that lay their eggs on the larva of other wasps. This one was caught in a web on the window, it got free just after I took the photo.

rubytailedwasp.jpg

Steve

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I found a wasp's nest today, one particular wasp was 3cm long. Sorted it all out with petrol though, it's gone now.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I did indeed - your work is stunning Staghound :D

I'll offer you a common darter in exchange

1250341172_65bca393e1_b.jpg

and a Southern Chaser

1249465991_c666071a3b_o.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There,s nothing wrong with them Neil!

The solitary male is an azure blue - I suspect the mating pair are the same but I can't quite see the distinguishing marks

This is my "record photo" of the azure blue - the main difference is the top black mark on the "tail" is U shaped whereas it isn't on the common blue (thanks for teaching me that Fenlander )

Better description here

http://www.brerc.org.uk/groups/dragonfly/blueazure.htm

509481525_d8d580f7ed_b.jpg

and a mating pair (not as good as yours)

561027031_19e2352bf7_b.jpg

Red

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
:Wow: That darter shot is a beauty Red, I was just looking at the British Dragonfly Society site and IMHO yours is way better than the one they use to illustrate the species.
http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/systr.html
Haven't seen any dragons round here yet, still a bit early for ours.

I think you might have to change the name of this thread though, reckon you've gone beyond "just a wasp" :D

Like the damselflies Skanker, common blues?(Red posted while I was writing this, I retract my question and bow to his superior wisdom :sulkoff: :D ) The top one especially is a lovely crisp shot, hand held or tripod?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE