jays, fungi and a featherstick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
went up the local woods for a wander and a play with the knife. Spotted 3 jays socializing and a load of different fungi, any help wood be appreicated!! oh and a couple of trees with some sort of fruit on, again help would be appreciate to identify them.

sorry for some of the s**t pics.

BBB3.jpg

BBB4.jpg

BBB5.jpg

BBB6.jpg

BBB7.jpg

BBB8.jpg

BBB9.jpg

BBB10.jpg

BBB11.jpg

BBB.jpg

BBB2.jpg

BBB12.jpg

cheers

J

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The first berries are a currant, you'll have to wait until it ripens to know which one. Both white and black are edible :)

The last one is Laurel

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I intend in getting one right..

The last pic is a featherstick..;)

The big fungus fruit might be Dryads Saddle,but i'm hopeless with fungi usually.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
The first Fungi pic is Auricularia auricula judae, second and fourth looks like Trametes versicolor.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers guys! I was thinking laurel, you learn something everyday. The fungi are still a bit of a mystery to me, apart from the jews ear or jelly ear in these PC times!

SOAR, does trametes versicolor have a more common name at all?

thanks

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Jays are noisy aren't they?

Certainly are, you tend to hear them more than you see them.
They have a knack of always getting just far ahead enough out of sight as you're walking along, whilst you hear an indignant cry wailing out.

Beautiful birds though and some nice photos.

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
jays are brilliant
ive sat there for hours on end in the garden watching them mimic other birds
if they stay around for long enough they are a fascinating sight, anyone who gets the chance i highly recommend sitting there for an hour or 2, it'll be worth it

Last edited:

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
jays are brilliant

They certainly are, and if you're lucky enough to catch them at the right time and place...
(From;Out and About; Can anyone ID this feather?)
"I was sitting on a lochside during a mad spell, repairing a pheasant-tail-nymph as the trout were hitting hard and quite literally tearing my flies apart. I saw a movement at my left elbow and looked down to see a jay, eyes fixed on my hands and cocking its head from side to side in fascination at what I was doing. I turned slowly and offered it a piece of pheasant tail, in response to which it hopped round to my right and sat on my fishing bag, eyes fixed on my hands, still cocking its head.

Love em!"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE