I've got my wood!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've finally managed to find a friendly farmer who's happy to let me and guests use a wood on his farm to camp in. His words were 'sure, just come and go as you please. Only thing is make sure you don't burn it down or leave any litter'. I believe there's a river as well at the bottom of the farm, I just have to check the boundaries and whether or not he hasn't leased the fishing rights out. Only slight downer is it's 1/4 mile from a motorway so there's a constant drone of cars, but it's a small price to pay for nights out around a camp fire :)

It's about 15 acres in total and predominantly larch interspersed with birch, cherry, beech, oak and ash. At the moment it's carpeted with a mass of bluebells as you can see from the pics. Sorry for the poor quality but the camera batteries were dead (that'll teach me to believe the little wifey when she says they're ok) so I took a couple on my mobile.

Can't wait to get up there for a night :D

wood-2.jpg

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Thats a nice place you have landed yourself there, the bluebells are looking good in the woods. Have to agree with bushwacker it does look like a watercolour painting.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Mesquite,

well done.

I have been asking Council/Farmers around the Watford/Harrow area for a while with no success.

Thanks everyone :) I took my son with me when I checked it out and when I showed him how you can use birch bark to start a fire with a fireflash he was wanting to stay there and then :D Anyway our first camp out is planned for weekend after next for 2 nights.

Godfather, I know how difficult it can be finding somewhere. As soon as you mention campfire you can see the farmers almost having visions of raging bonfires. Another difficulty is it seems that a lot of the farmers lease their woods out to shooting syndicates so obviosuly they don't want them being upset. If you fancy the occasional night out I'd be happy to have you come along, just drop me a PM and we'll sort something out.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Congratulations! You must feel like a dog with two tails. Looks good to. Look forward to the pics of the first camping trip!:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What a great offer. Thanks you.:You_Rock_

It's a pleasure Godfather. :)
I would rather share my good fortune with a few like minded people who will get as much enjoyment as I will than to selfishly hog it to myself and end up sitting by a campfire all alone, not that the odd night of solitude now and then won't be enjoyable (especially as it'll mean peace from the little wifey for a night ;) ).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE