Its raining Deer...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mind those sporting laws ? well venison for sale has to pass health inspections, just like the sheep, pigs and cattle, and I think the Game Dealers still have something to do with it all too.
Deer stalking is a 'sport', not just an active cull and meat source. ........
It’s very much a sport here also although “stalking” isn’t something we normally do. Most deer hunting nowadays is done from an elevated stand or by driving deer past standers. Usually the standers will surround the driven area while one driver with several dogs will make the drive. The tradition was for the hunter that makes the kill to get the trophies and half the meat while the others in the party share the other half of the meat. That type he noting is less common now but still not really “UN”common.

The biggest single reason people here hunt is for the sport and comaraderie. Those camps I mentioned just happen to be a very large part of the sport and tradition.

Venison was never allowed for sale here unless it was/is farm raised. That said, many in Southern rural areas still feed their families on loads of venison. Possibly because of the dramatic rise in the deer population. When I was,growing up you had to get a deer “tag” which entitled you to harvest a single buck in a season (usually two gun seasons and one archery season per year back then) Now every southern state has eliminated tags and raised the limit to two bucks per day and add a special doe weekend. It still isn’t making a dent in the population.

Don’t misunderstand me, I understand that not all deer killed will be used and that’s more than fair under the circumstances. That said, the choice of terminology has a profound impact on public acceptance. Still, “cull” has a negative connotation with Bambi thinking urbanites whereas “harvest” brings a somewhat different picture to mind.

I'm actually wondering if it's something to do with the lack of bird predators of the blighters. Moorland bird numbers have fallen since the fifties, and tick numbers have risen, even more so after the ban on organophosphates in sheep dips.

That also brings up the question of other critters that eat them. What do hedgehogs eat and how are their populations doing?

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Hedgehogs? Slugs, frogs, dead stuff. Everything.
Declining, sadly.

I had hedgehogs on my property in UK, we tried for much of the brood to survive, but traffic took most.

They got fleas.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A fair number of the landowners are happy to charge paying guns a lot for a days stalking. Those Victorian and Edwardian lodges are expensive to maintain.
It's the sport thing again.
Many farmers here lease the hunting rights to a hunting club. Same principle on both sides of the pond from the lndowner’s perspective; getting the most income you can from a limited resource.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Some of both here.

So much of the landscape is public land (aka forest) that we can hunt just about wherever we please.
Elk, moose and our deer (white tails & mule deer) are creatures of "edge" = the forest edge along a forest cut block
that's been logged off and replanted maybe 5-10 years ago. The new growth is game food. Conifer forest is for hiding in.

Otherwise, try to get permission to hunt ranch land edges is just about a guarantee of meat in the freezer.
For years, I hunted Canada geese that way. 10kg meat bombs falling out of the sky at 70kph.
They fold up like Origami and the crash landing kills them for sure. A good dog is a dream to behold.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Mind those sporting laws ? well venison for sale has to pass health inspections, just like the sheep, pigs and cattle, and I think the Game Dealers still have something to do with it all too.

The entrails need to be inspected if you are. Offering the meat for sale. This may mean the animal is kept intact for the time to remove it from the land, to the abbatoir etc and for the inspector to inspect it. That may affect the taste

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Selling fish & game here is illegal. Some is licensed for sale but to restaurants only.
BIG FOOD is pushing hard to stop farm-gate sales of even things like chickens!
Excellent push-back from both the local growers and the local buyers like me.

Yet, nobody blinks if I buy eggs or carrots locally!

I want no part of an animal, gut shot and left to ripen for 2-3 days.
That flies in the face of good game management. Biochemical ignorance.
Best venison? Dropped in the snow with 1 cold shot on a -10C day.
Put 2 in the engine room and it's all over. Field dressed in the next 30 minutes.

Reactions: petrochemicals
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Madness that corporate north America does things like lobby for things against basic average boilogical function. I should imagine a farm fresh chicken comes with the feathers on and able to cluck if you so wish.
Selling fish & game here is illegal. Some is licensed for sale but to restaurants only.
BIG FOOD is pushing hard to stop farm-gate sales of even things like chickens!
Excellent push-back from both the local growers and the local buyers like me.

Yet, nobody blinks if I buy eggs or carrots locally!

I want no part of an animal, gut shot and left to ripen for 2-3 days.
That flies in the face of good game management. Biochemical ignorance.
Best venison? Dropped in the snow with 1 cold shot on a -10C day.
Put 2 in the engine room and it's all over. Field dressed in the next 30 minutes.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd be happy to blast a good big mule deer right off my front door step.
About 18" from the front door. I have a place to butcher downstairs and I have a walk-in cold room.

Most farm chickens get dressed and plucked. Just about oven ready.
A lot of the time, it's kind of word-of-mouth for ordering.
I know that I've ordered some chickens and 2 turkeys but I cannot for the life of me recall who it was!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You can bet the farmers are in it for the money and the reputation for good animals.
Beef, bison, pork, lamb and birds. Not everybody grows everything.

My previous next door neighbor was a very efficient big game hunter.
I always had the opportunity for moose/elk/venison and bear and he wanted bison.
I miss his venison. He knew what to do and he was a good cutter as well.

Those little Muntjac deer in the UK look down right tasty. BBQ. Apple wood smoke for an hour.
I can see an apple juice wet mop for another couple of hours.
What's good? .223? maybe .25-'06? .243? 8-12 oz for the chef?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Madness that corporate north America does things like lobby for things against basic average boilogical function. I should imagine a farm fresh chicken comes with the feathers on and able to cluck if you so wish.
Selling all wild caught fish isn’t illegal. Just freshwater species. For a twofold reason:
1) Inability to have enough inspectors to ensure it’s healthy (personally I believe that’s over-kill on the part of government) and
2) To prevent overharvest of the popular species (although the single most popular freshwater species, catfish, is in no danger whatsoever)

Selling wild game is illegal for the same reasons. Although I still think the health issue is overkill, I have to admit market hunters devastated native populations until it was outlawed in the early 20th century.

Farmed specimens of any species are perfectly legal to sell and I have to also admit that policy has been a boon to many Southern farmers who also maintain catfish ponds for commercial harvest.

My pet peeve is the difficulty buying raw milk or dairy products made from it. It’s legal as long as you buy it directly from the farmer. At least in most states; some make even that illegal. Fortunately I have a couple of local connections. One who keeps Jerseys, and another with Guernseys. Both are expensive but well worth it. They als supply my eggs.

I’ll try to look up and share a photo that explains just how idiotic our poultry labeling laws are.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Harvest implies that you eat Bambi.

Lots of modern people can not stand that thought.

You should have seen the reaction when I told the assistants at my workplace in UK that we eat Rudolf in Scandinavia.....

Near where I'm from is a place called Raby Castle (near Staindrop) people come from miles around to see the deer herd. The first sign you see on the way in is @Venison sold here', always made me chortle when I passed it. (I must post a photo I have from Facebook - at Rudolph's expense).

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeah and antlers make thin soup. Terribly sorry, I have to make elk fajita tonight by request!
Big game is tops for any kind of Tex-Mex meat dish that I can name, particularly the local deer.
Local organic beef is a close #2.

BTW, I'd like to know what your venison prices look like. I can convert at 1.75X to CAD $$$.
Assuming that I'll buy an entire side (2 yr old), bison costs me about $5.00/lb cut, wrapped, labeled and flash frozen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE