Is white gas the same as super unleaded

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I thought white gas was what is sold as coleman fuel, basically pure petrol with out the additives that is in unleaded, either way they both work the same in a simple stove or lantern.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
No, they are not the same. You can use either in a white gas stove, but the Super unleaded will be much smellier when burned. It will also leave carbon deposits behind in the generator/vaporizer. You can see the difference when you spill them. White gas (Aspen 4T in my case) evaporates completely leaving no greasiness, unleaded petrol leaves a smelly greasy patch.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
No, they are not the same. You can use either in a white gas stove, but the Super unleaded will be much smellier when burned. It will also leave carbon deposits behind in the generator/vaporizer. You can see the difference when you spill them. White gas (Aspen 4T in my case) evaporates completely leaving no greasiness, unleaded petrol leaves a smelly greasy patch.

According to the above link though, Coleman fuel isn't white gas. Aspen 4 is an Alkylate petrol, derived from a different process. ( I think that's what the page was referring to when it mentions 'Environmental gasoline')

I have burnt unleaded in my stoves and it stinks and clogs them up but I've never tried super. Just because an oily residue is left after evaporation doesn't mean it will necessarily soot, barbecue lighter fluid burns lovely and cleanly but some of it leaves a residue too.

The best stuff I've burnt is Primus Powerfuel which is pure Heptane. Aspen/alylate is a close second, while Coleman fuel occasionally causes a little sooting for me in the jets.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I thought white gas was what is sold as coleman fuel, basically pure petrol with out the additives that is in unleaded, either way they both work the same in a simple stove or lantern.

'White Gas' in modern usage is Naphtha not pure Petrol. Unleaded petrol is certainly not the ideal thing to be using in 'petrol' stoves, it is dirty and contains additives that are not good for you. It is perhaps not advisable to openly discuss cheaper versions of Coleman Fuel.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
i dont see why not. especially as multi fuel stoves are designed to burn it and are advertised as so

Coleman will send their Ninjas to get you. Either that or someone at GCHQ has shares in them and you'll wake up tomorrow to find you have a credit rating of -200 and are recorded on the police computer as the murderer of Rasputin, a wild vagabond, and a vampire bat.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Coleman will send their Ninjas to get you. Either that or someone at GCHQ has shares in them and you'll wake up tomorrow to find you have a credit rating of -200 and are recorded on the police computer as the murderer of Rasputin, a wild vagabond, and a vampire bat.

lol.

I think what im getting at here is i never burn standard unleaded. White gas it generally regarded as clean petrol. Extrapolating that, super unleaded is sold as something which has less emissions and is cleaner. Therefore i was interested in whether it is similar to white gas. Given a choice i will burn panel wipe (naptha) or paraffin and at home that isnt a problem. When on a winter trip my fuel options may be less so its good to look into all options.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
i dont see why not. especially as multi fuel stoves are designed to burn it and are advertised as so

?????? I was referring to using panel wipe instead of Coleman Fuel (as in cheaper version). Multi fuel stoves aren't normally advertised as using panel wipe of course! The point is that if people publicise using panel wipe too much then some pen pushing totalitarian commie bureaucrat will tax it or legislate it out of being useful! Remember what happened with IDA? As soon as a few permit applications went in wanting to get it for use in stoves they jumped on it. The rate things are going you are going to need a permit to wipe your own posterial panel more than twice! Heaven knows what they will come up with next, taxing TP probably because they claim using more than three sheets is destroying the Planet and killing all the Polar Bears :rolleyes:

A Polar Bear walks up to a Penguin and says "Do you find that poo sticks to you fur" The Penguin says "Yes I have found that actually" at which point the Polar Bear picks up the Penguin and wipes his bottom with it!!! Now I challenge you to spot the three deliberate mistakes in this joke.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
A Polar Bear walks up to a Penguin and says "Do you find that poo sticks to you fur" The Penguin says "Yes I have found that actually" at which point the Polar Bear picks up the Penguin and wipes his bottom with it!!! Now I challenge you to spot the three deliberate mistakes in this joke.

Polar Bears don't speak English.

Neither do Penguins.

Penguins are actually very slippery birds, wholly unsuited for purposes of sanitary cleansing.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Polar Bears don't speak English.

Neither do Penguins.

Penguins are actually very slippery birds, wholly unsuited for purposes of sanitary cleansing.

That is one out of the three, the first two being of one as it were and the third not intended!

Two more to go. They are not obscure, quite factual.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
?????? I was referring to using panel wipe instead of Coleman Fuel (as in cheaper version). Multi fuel stoves aren't normally advertised as using panel wipe of course! The point is that if people publicise using panel wipe too much then some pen pushing totalitarian commie bureaucrat will tax it or legislate it out of being useful! Remember what happened with IDA? As soon as a few permit applications went in wanting to get it for use in stoves they jumped on it. The rate things are going you are going to need a permit to wipe your own posterial panel more than twice! Heaven knows what they will come up with next, taxing TP probably because they claim using more than three sheets is destroying the Planet and killing all the Polar Bears :rolleyes:

I dont think there is much danger of that hound. Naptha based fuels have been discussed plenty for years

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Don't tell them then.

Well yes, that would be my approach but some people just have terminal 'foot in mouth' disease.

I'm guessing some people weren't paying enough attention in Biology and Geography to pick up on two and three then. That said, I didn't learn anything in Geography, I was too mesmerized by the goddess that sat across from me. Oh unrequited lust!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
They probably just don't want to be sued when some Darwin Award candidate manages to set himself ablaze with the stuff. I seem to recall some media reports trying to blame the Minister for Petrol or whoever, when someone ignited herself whilst transferring petrol from one container to another in her kitchen with the gas ring going at the same time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE