Is anyone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Hmm, good question. The guy in the big white house on Pennsylvania ave. says he's preparing to prepare. :rolleyes: Whatever it is, the people will have to come into contact with it, in order to develope some sort of immunity. We have some surgical masks, gloves and know how to wash, but I wouldn't go any further with any type of preparations and if that don't work, I'll see ya all on the other side maybe. ;)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The NHS has worked out from previous pandemics what percent of the population are likely to contract the flu in the first wave (about 1 in 5) and are now stock piling about 14 million doses of tamiflu. What hasn't been worked out is how to distribute those doses to those with the genuine flu and not just a cold. It is expected that a second wave will come through in the following year. For that wave there should be a vaccine available.

As for me as an individual. No point in getting a flu jab as it won't work against a new flu. I am a GP so would be in contact with cases early on so would expect to get it. Therefore I expect to get ill and rely on getting over it with help from tamiflu.

Learn how to reduce the chance of catching a cold or flu. Some ideas:-

Don't travel by public transport.
Wash your hands very frequently (hands spread most of the germs probably) - especially if you touch something that others regularly touch (door handle etc..)
Make sure rooms are well ventilated if sharing the space with someone who could have a virus (coming, going, carrier state etc.) Note that coughs, sneezes and even speech will spread an aerosol of the germs in the air.
If you get what you think is a bad flu, try to not go to places that would spread it to others.
Stay physically fit - less chance of getting an illness and better chance of getting over it without complications.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I'm just preparing a wish list for all things I will buy after I have worked my butt off should a pandemic occur. If everyone drops like flies, I'll be very busy. Oh, and quite rich! Or i might catch it and die, either way, it's not losing me sleep.

I'm sure that this year's season is over is it not as the migratory birds are most likely to spread the avian flu? Then it still has to get into the human circuit which isn't as easy as it might appear. Some historians have suggested that some of the plagues of the middle ages were actually a type of avian flu. It would certainly explain a lot.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
Hey I think if you going to get it , you will no two ways about it.

I do agency work to top up forestry wages have done for years, working with special needs kids some have very bad personal habits , so given up worrying no point. Just deal with what comes.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Well i think we now live in a time where speculation and"what ifs" rule the day. Every day its something new on the news, so called experts vy-ing against each other to be the bigger doom merchant,while joe public swallows each juicy titbit these people spout. Me i take it all with a pinch of salt.

:soapbox: sorry i will get off the box now. It just hit a raw nerve thats all.

Wow you know its good to get some things off your chest now and again.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
i'm not going to bother! - seem to miss most things going round even though swmbo seems to ba a magnet for any 'nasties' so reccon i'll be ok ;)

famous last words eh!............ :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE