info help with blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
hi all was hoping to get some info on a knife i have it is large like a parang type
it is black with a black rubber handle has JOHN NOWILL some cross keys sheffield then two words i cant make out
on the rubber handle it has F.E & J.R HOPKINSON SHEFFIELD ENGLAND its a great thing i like it a lot and id like to know a bit about it can anyone help cheers

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
dont have the means pal thats why i discribed it the best i could with the markings
thanks anyway

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
384640115_tp.jpg

Is this it?

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It's a heavy old beast, carbon steel black coating, not aprticularly well ground so may need a proper bevel before it'll cut aswell as you might want it to.

new they cost around £60 I think, very very tough tools and will last a lifetime! other machetes will probably cut better though, even the £8 tramontina machetes will slice and cut wood better.. they won't be able to split wood quite like that thick beast though.

Either keep it and use it, or get the edge reprofiled and make it better to sue or.. sell it for about £35-40.

:)

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
thanks for that guys so it seems that me blade is like a forerunner to the lofty wiseman or the chris caine tool ive re set the edge to a 0 scandi and its not bad think its possibly better than the cain and more affordable its a keeper

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
thanks for that guys so it seems that me blade is like a forerunner to the lofty wiseman or the chris caine tool ive re set the edge to a 0 scandi and its not bad think its possibly better than the cain and more affordable its a keeper

If it's a keeper, don't let it get lonely, as finances permit get more to compare, a man can never have enough sharp toys.

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
If it's a keeper, don't let it get lonely, as finances permit get more to compare, a man can never have enough sharp toys.
11 axes and tomahawks last count 80 blades and counting prob got more now just bought another two but one is a pressie
whats with knives/sharps guns catapults and motorbikes oh well im happy:lmao: till next time and i must say thanks to all :cool:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
you goan keep it or sell it mate? it'll make an interesting clean up project.

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
:)it is like new ive spent time on the blade getting a 0 scandi and as i said before its a keeper
i find it very hard to part with a blade good job im not a maker :rolleyes:

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
my thanks to palace // john for the pic as i dont have a camra this would be a bit hard ill see what i can do later
i think its a good tool so thats what matters and as ive had it for some years i cant remember how much it was but it was'nt much un like some that do and break :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE