I'm so happy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Following on from the various threads on firesteels and natural tinders it occurred to me that I have always used cotton wool or some similar tinder as opposed to anything straight from nature, at least when using a firesteel.

Today on my bimble with the dogs I saw a birch tree felled recently by the wind. So I snaffled a few bits of bark and stuck them in my pocket.

Once home I scraped the inner up a bit and had a go with the firesteel. No use whatsoever. Much sparking but no fire.

Then I tried the papery outer bit instead. Several small fires later I'm a truly hapy camper! I know its small potatoes to many on here but I really was pleased with myself.

Am I supposed to use the outer bit or is there some knck for getting the inner bit to burn?

Either way I'm still chuffed.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
well done the first step on a very long love affair with firecraft go you :cool:

that's just about how I started great feeling well done again

Ruvio

Nomad
haha making fire will make you happy, regardless of how many times you have done it mate
the same amount after the first time as well
but the trick is just practice, and getting the feathers of the bark fine enough, i'm sure theres a few nice tutorials on here, in fact there was a competition on feathering matchsticks that completely outstripped my ability a while ago
have a look at that
and, just enjoy yourself, if you get over stressed, fire comes so much harder

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
There was definately more on this a few days ago, must have disappeared into the ether.

Thanks for the responses all, much appreciated. I won't get to practice much as there are very few birch trees near me. Lots a few miles away, so I will have to grab some bark when I'm further afield. I've since had success with dandelion heads and thistle-down.

Aint fire fun!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Birch bark is nature's gift to us for firelighting!

Even when it's wet it will light with a spark. If you scrape the bark with the blade or edge at 90 degrees to the branch or trunk it will produce thin shavings almost like powder (easiest done on a fallen tree or a log) and that never fails to light - add a few strips of the outer bark and the flame gets going. However, in British damp woods, the next bit is the difficult bit!

Cheers,

Broch

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
The inner side is always a bit more damp because it has been stuck to the living part of the tree all the time. The outer layers are farther away from the moist stem, and usually dryer and easier to shave into....er....shavings. I suppose that's why the outer bark works better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE