Im making a fish / eel/ crayfish trap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Jon,

Fantasic job you've done there matey it looks really good. Maybe the light colour of the wood is off putting to any potential prey? Hopefully it will darken with age.

Best of luck,

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I caught a fish!!! i caught one........ But it got away! :rolleyes:

I had a fish in my trap it was a little Rud. I pulled the trap in and left it in the shallows whilst i went back home to get my camera. When i got back to the trap with my camera it was still there but when i went to take a picture it vanished!! Must have got through the cage wall somehow! Dam. Oh well.

Ive improved the trap so that the little ones can't escape. I'll post some pict in a bit. Its in the water at the moment.

If i get another catch i will post some other pics.

By the way, does anyone mind all these pictures, does it clog your internet connections up?

Cheers

Jon

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Nice trap Jon. I don't know if it will work with crawfish though. Here in Louisiana they us a small mesh plastic coated wire fencing to make crawfish traps. The spacing on your trap looks a little too big for crawfish, from what I can tell. They usually bait them with dead smelly fish. Wish you success.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Just been back to my trap and look!! Ihave caught three fish! I think the modification on the trap and some extra bait did the trick!

Three nice little rud.

That other thing in the trap next to the fish is a stone whick im using to weight the trap down.

fish2.jpg

rud.jpg

This is The trap now that it's had a bit of modification

trap10.jpg

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thats a real nice trap jon, is it legal to use ? where can it be used ?
a tutorial is defo in order, would love to give making one a go as im into fishing
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
nice, im going to give this a bash, does hazel have to be used ? i havent seen any in our local woods
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok thanks, im going to start it tommorow, are the ends open or are they netted ? how do the fish get in ?
i take it you attached a rope to the top of it
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE